Three living groups choose not to ‘squat’

Nine selective living groups chose to remain in their respective sections yesterday, leaving 13 groups to shuffle locations around available blocks on campus.  

Groups that decided not to squat and groups whose residence group assessment process scores were too low for them to be eligible to squat will choose new sections in the order of their scores within their size categories. Campus Council President Stephen Temple, a junior, said he expects that groups will meet Sunday afternoon with the co-chairs of the Residence Group Assessment Committee to select housing.

Three groups—Arts Theme House, Chi Psi fraternity and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity—were eligible to squat in their sections but decided to enter the draft for new space.

Although no groups lost their housing, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta, Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Nu fraternities as well as Scott House and Wayne Manor were placed on probation. These groups have until November 2010 to show improvement in their categories. They will be re-evaluated by the Campus Council general body and subject to sanctions or potentially recommended to be removed from their sections, according to the policy.

Campus Council defined probation as scoring at least one standard deviation below the mean in any of three areas. These include overall score, aggregate of section management and group conduct score and fundamental categories score.

Of the new sections, 13 do not have dedicated commons rooms and 14 do not include space on the first floors.

Interfraternity Council President Eric Kaufman, a senior, said IFC members are concerned that the changes will discourage groups from trying to improve their RGAC scores in the future and therefore push much of greek activity off campus. Many IFC members also raised concerns about the transparency, fairness and efficacy of the process, he said.

Temple said RLHS and Student Affairs officials, Campus Council and RGAC representatives and stakeholders in the RGAC results will meet Wednesday to discuss concerns with the process.

Share and discuss “Three living groups choose not to ‘squat’” on social media.