University launches new Web site

Duke officially launched its new Web site Thursday, highlighting numerous aspects of the University.

The new duke.edu cost the University $100,000 in design and development.

The site’s development began in January. The push to update the former Web site, launched in 2006, was headed by members of Duke Web Services and the Office of Information Technology. Their goal was to create a Web-based information center on par with current technology.

A facelift from the former white background, bottom photo bar and centered search bar, the new home page features a slideshow of nine photos that focus on University themes such as global education and civic engagement.

“I think it truly represents the very dynamic nature of the University—it shows a university that has momentum and is in motion and that’s what we set out to achieve,” said Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations.

The Web site boasts approximately 800 images and 150 narratives through student videos and other multimedia, Schoenfeld said. He added that through the site’s developmental stages, the University updated a blog with redesigns and templates to gauge user feedback.

“I’m not going to predict right now how long this new site will stay in its current condition,” he said. “We did make it very flexible.”

Share and discuss “University launches new Web site” on social media.