DSG OKs tenting changes

Head Line Monitor Zach White, a senior, presents this year’s tenting policy at the Duke Student Government meeting Wednesday night. The group approved the policy, which aims to make tenting more enjoyable.

Duke Student Government officially approved the 2009-2010 Krzyzewskiville tenting policy at its meeting Wednesday night.

The new provisions reduce the number of people required to stay overnight per tent from eight to six and begin the tenting season Jan. 30—a month later than in previous years. The policies also extend curfew on Thursdays to 12:00 a.m. and on Fridays and Saturdays to 2:30 a.m. as well as raising the grace temperature from 20 to 25 degrees.

Head Line Monitor Zach White, a senior, presented these changes to DSG, emphasizing the importance of turning the tenting experience into an enjoyable event. By reducing the number of restrictions, White said he feels more students will be motivated to tent and attend basketball games.

“Too often in the past, tenting would be just something you get through, “ White said. “We’re trying to make the tenting experience a fun thing so that when tenters leave the Carolina game they say ‘I can’t wait to do it again.’”

DSG also officially endorsed Duke’s Climate Action Plan, approved by the Board of Trustees at its October meeting. The plan focuses on incorporating  “Environmental Literacy” in the undergraduate curriculum by educating students about green initiatives both on and off campus.

In addition, DSG approved a second green initiative, based on a February 2009 report written by Charlotte Clark, associate director of education and training at the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences. Academics Affairs Senator Ari Ruffer, a freshman, presented the proposal, which he hopes will lead to University-wide efforts to enforce cleaner bus transportation standards and lower carbon dioxide emission.

In other business:

DSG also unanimously approved a number of other measures allocating funds to various projects.

The Duke-North Carolina Central University symposium, to be held Nov. 1 in the Mary Lou Williams Center, was given the green-light. The forum will discuss the future of Duke-NCCU relations and will include leaders from government associations from both universities, said junior Will Passo, vice president of Durham and regional affairs.

In addition, DSG passed a proposal to allocate funds aiming to increase student participation in government elections.

“The turnout in DSG elections is especially low and the only advertisement beyond campaign materials is through a blast e-mail in the morning and before the polls close,” said Executive Vice President Gregory Morrison, a junior.

The approved funds will enable the construction of various banners and signs made entirely of reusable materials, Morrison added.

Share and discuss “DSG OKs tenting changes” on social media.