LIVE BLOG: Duke 49, N.C. Central 14 (FINAL)

FINAL: Duke 49, N.C. Central 14: The Blue Devils are victorious in the first-ever Bull City Gridiron Classic. The sky is falling as both teams gather in the center of the field, and Duke looks all too eager to head into the tunnel after such a wet contest. Coach Cutcliffe will certainly be happy with the team's rushing output, as Duke picked up 233 yards on the ground, the team's highest tally since it rushed for 218 yards in last year's season opener against James Madison.

1:59 4th Quarter, Duke 49, N.C. Central 14: With under two minutes left in the game, the Devils are content to keep it on the ground, relying on seldom-used Cameron Jones to move the chains. A torrential downpour has drenched the field and the track, sending more fans to the aisles in an already sparsely-populated stadium.

10:21 4th Quarter, Duke 49, N.C. Central 14: The Eagles had a 4th-and-2 at Duke's five yard-line, but could not convert, as Keon Williams was stonewalled by the Devil defense on the QB-keeper run. At this point, a comeback seems out of Central's reach...

14:56 4th Quarter, Duke 49, N.C. Central 14: Sean Renfree engineered the latest Duke scoring drive, connecting with Connor Vernon for a 16-yard completion that brought the Blue Devils to the Eagles' three yard-line. Renfree then found tight end Brett Huffman for the short score.

1:25 3rd Quarter, Duke 42, N.C. Central 14: Desmond Scott just picked up 100 yards rushing in his first career start, amassing that total with 15 carries. Scott becomes Duke's first 100-yard rusher since Justin Boyle racked up 113 yards against Vanderbilt back in 2006.

4:20 3rd Quarter, Duke 42, N.C. Central 14: Duke punted for just the second time tonight, but that proved to be a non-issue when safety Matt Daniels forced the Eagles' return man to fumble. Standout linebacker Vincent Rey recovered the loose ball and took it back 16 yards for another score. The fumble recovery for a TD was the third of Rey's career and made him Duke's all-time leader in that statistical category.

10:06 3rd Quarter, Duke 35, N.C. Central 14: A 48-yard punt return by Johnny Williams allowed Duke to set up shop at the Eagles' 21-yard line. The Blue Devils scored five plays later, thanks to three runs from Scott that covered 16 yards. Lewis finished off the drive with a five-yard touchdown run, rolling out to his left, finding a seam in the defense, and barreling through a defender for six.

12:10 3rd Quarter, Duke 28, N.C. Central 14: The Eagles were forced to punt on the opening drive of the second half, but not without giving the Devils a scare first. Michael Johnson hit Irvine for a 48-yard gain, but it was called back due to holding. Duke's corners have not been tested very much this game, but they have left much to be desired on their coverage of the deep ball thus far.

HALFTIME: Duke amassed 21 first downs in the first half, racking up 322 yards in the process. The Blue Devils have 121 rushing yards thus far, the first time they've broken the 100-yard barrier on the ground this season. Desmond Scott has chipped in 73 of those yards on nine attempts, good for just over eight yards per carry. The Eagles, on the other hand, have only 121 yards total, but have managed to remain within striking distance as a result of two big plays: the 55-yard completion that set up their first score and the 83-yard interception return that accounted for the second. Duke seemed to be clicking on all cylinders on its final drive of the half, eating up about six and a half minutes of clock and covering 80 yards in 14 plays. Central will have the ball entering the 3rd quarter.

0:33 2nd Quarter, Duke 28, N.C. Central 14: Lewis returned at quarterback as the Blue Devils took over on their own 20 and he proceeded to complete a 25-yard pass to tight end Brett Huffman through the heart of the Eagle defense on the first play of the possession. After completing a few short passes to Varner and Vernon, Lewis then converted on fourth down at the Eagles' 32-yard line. N.C. Central managed to hold off the Devil attack again, however, forcing a fourth down and four at the 26-yard line. Cutcliffe opted to go for it, and Lewis hit Johnny Williams for a 12-yard gain. The senior just barely overthrew Williams on the next play, trying to find the #1 receiver in the left corner of the end zone. Duke finally found pay dirt one play later courtesy of Donovan Varner, who caught Lewis' pass on the right side and ran it in for a 14-yard score.

9:00 2nd Quarter, Duke 21, N.C. Central 14: The Blue Devils punted for the first time tonight, and Renfree remained under center on Duke's fifth drive of the game. He connected on back-to-back short screen plays with Austin Kelly, and then hit Jay Hollingsworth—who was doubtful for the game—two plays later on third down for just a yard. Hollingsworth was shaken up on the play, and he's currently being looked at on the sideline.

13:33 2nd Quarter, Duke 21, N.C. Central 14: The skies have opened up again, and so have the umbrellas. But more importantly, Lewis went down after a QB draw play and had to limp off the field, making way for redshirt freshman Sean Renfree. Renfree proceeded to throw an interception on his first pass attempt and the Eagles' Jeffery Henderson returned it 83 yards to the end zone. We have a game on our hands again...

1:27 1st Quarter, Duke 21, N.C. Central 7: The Eagles put together a great six-play scoring drive, highlighted by a 55-yard completion from quarterback Michael Johnson to receiver Geovonie Irvine. The play was Central's longest from scrimmage this year.

3:19 1st Quarter: Duke 21, N.C. Central 0: The Blue Devils scored touchdowns on all of their offensive possessions thus far. This time, Lewis found Donovan Varner in the middle of the end zone for an 18-yard score. The senior quarterback has completed 9-of-12 passing attempts for 98 yards and a touchdown.

8:42 1st Quarter: Duke 14, N.C. Central 0: Duke needed only four plays and 1:28 to find the end zone again. Thaddeus Lewis completed passes to three different receivers, and Scott scored his first career touchdown with a 23-yard run right up the middle of the field. The Blue Devil offensive line is opening up some wide holes for the running backs, and it looks like Duke will be able to score at will in this one, as Central has yet to show that it can stop the passing or the ground game.

12:33 1st Quarter: Duke 7, N.C. Central 0: Shredding the Eagle defense, the Blue Devils ripped off a five-play, 59-yard drive to strike first. Sophomore Patrick Kurunwune capped off the drive with a 14-yard touchdown run. Scott got two carries on the drive as well, and looked strong his first time on the field this year.

PREGAME: We're about to get underway here at Wallace Wade Stadium in the first-ever meeting between the Eagles and the Blue Devils. The rain has subsided, but the wet weather seems to have deterred many students from making the post-Tailgate trek to the field. N.C. Central won the toss and deferred, so the Blue Devils are back deep to receive. Look out for true freshman and Durham native Desmond Scott, who will make his first career start at running back tonight, as Re'quan Boyette and Jay Hollingsworth are sidelined with injuries.

Share and discuss “LIVE BLOG: Duke 49, N.C. Central 14 (FINAL)” on social media.