Desmond Scott To Play Saturday, Captains Named

Some big news came out of head coach David Cutcliffe's weekly press conference today: Running back Desmond Scott will see the first playing time of his college career against N.C. Central Saturday.

The true freshman--ranked No. 5 at his position in Rivals.com's ranking of the 2009 class--is widely considered to be one of the best recruits Duke has picked up in years. There was speculation that he would be redshirted this year, since he has not been in any games yet, but injuries to the running corps, as well as its poor production during the first three games, allowed him to play this week.

A graduate of Durham's Hillside High, Scott rushed for 1,890 yards and 22 touchdowns his senior  year.

"He's a local player, and unless something strange happens between now and Saturday, he'll play," Cutcliffe said. "He's been practicing with the first and second string and has come a long way. His performance in practice was the biggest reason [for playing him]. He knows now what we want from him."

In other news, Cutcliffe announced the captains for Saturday's "Bull City Classic," as the game is now being called. It's a senior populated list: Thaddeus Lewis (who will start at quarterback), Vincent Rey, backup defensive tackle Kinney Rucker (from Durham), and right tackle Jarrod Holt.

Share and discuss “Desmond Scott To Play Saturday, Captains Named” on social media.