SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke finishes 14th at NCAAs

The Blue Devils' promising start to the NCAA Championship blew away with the weather Wednesday, and Duke couldn't replicate its early success, ultimately falling short in the final round of tournament play.

The Blue Devils carded a 12-over 296 in the third round-the 18th best round of the day-after completing a marathon day of play at Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. Weather stoppages forced Duke to complete its second round Thursday before playing the final 18 holes, and the rough finish left the Blue Devils in 14th place.

The top eight seeds qualified for the final day of match play, and Texas A&M was crowned as the 2009 national champion.

Despite the setback in the last round, Duke's play in the two days prior was more than enough to warrant praise from rookie head coach Jamie Green.

"I am very proud of our guys for being in position to compete for a spot in the match play heading into the back nine today," Green said. "I am proud of the guys for their efforts and how hard they work all year long, every single day on all parts of their game."

The team went through a rocky stretch at the start of the calendar year when then-head coach O.D. Vincent abruptly left Duke to take on a position in the athletic department at Washington, his alma mater.

The three-time Pac-10 Coach of the Year's departure could have sent the program reeling, as Vincent was already the third Blue Devil coach in less than a year.

But the arrival of Green, who built Charlotte into a powerhouse before coming to Duke, brought stability back to the program.

The team played in eight stroke play competitions under Green's leadership, and notched five top-5 finishes and one victory.

Duke carried the momentum of a successful spring campaign into the national championships, recording a 13-over 297 to end the first day in a tie for tenth place, betraying a pre-tournament No. 38 ranking.

Senior Clark Klaasen shot a 1-over 72 to pace the Blue Devils on Day 1. Klaasen, who finished the tournament with a 54-hole total of 5-over 218, had Duke's lowest score on the first and third days.

Senior Michael Quagliano led the charge on Day 2, firing a 4-under 67 to vault into sixth place individually and bring the Blue Devils into the top eight. Quagliono's round was the third-lowest score in Duke NCAA Championship history.

"I am really proud of the way Michael went out there and competed as well as he did," Green said. "He really putted well this week. He hit his putts solidly and was reading putts beautifully."

"I just wanted to give each putt a chance to go in," Quagliano said last Wednesday. "I am putting really well right now, so I feel if I can get it on the green I have a chance to make birdie."

Unfortunately for Quagliano and his teammates, that wasn't the case in the final round. The senior carded three bogeys and one double-bogey in the first five holes and never recovered from his slow start, finishing with a three-day score of 5-over 218 to end in a tie for 30th place with Klaasen.

Junior Adam Long was one of the few bright spots on the final day, as he recorded a 1-over 72. Long finished in 47th place individually.

"Adam was our most consistent player all year," Green said. "He was our top scorer and was the guy that we really leaned on all year long. That didn't stop this week."

Although the Blue Devils fell short of their ultimate goal in Green's inaugural campaign, the team's stretch of strong play to end the season bodes well for the future, particularly if the team's newest coach doesn't continue the recent exodus at the top of the program.

"We talked throughout the spring about being able to get to the national championship on the final round," Green said. "Unfortunately, we didn't play our best during the middle portion of the round, but the guys hung in there until the end... I am really proud of our guys."

Share and discuss “Duke finishes 14th at NCAAs” on social media.