Crotty to stay for fifth year

Attackman Ned Crotty, who led the NCAA in assists and points this year, announced last week he will exercise his fifth year of eligibility and return to Duke for the 2009-2010 season.

Crotty won the ACC Player of the Year award after an outstanding senior season, his first as an attackman after switching positions late in 2008. He scored 23 goals and recorded 55 assists for a total of 78 points, the best in the nation. Crotty had played midfield for the Blue Devils the previous three seasons.

After the 2006 season was cancelled midway through the year because of the ongoing legal scandal, Duke's players were granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA.

The sport's governing body mandates that student-athletes only play four seasons in any one sport, and in effect, the NCAA did not count the 2006 season toward that total of four for any Blue Devil interested in playing lacrosse for one extra year.

In the past, players like Matt Danowski and Tony McDevitt have taken advantage of the NCAA's offer and played an extra season at Duke, and Zack Greer did the same at Bryant under former Blue Devil head coach Mike Pressler this year.

Some players, though, have chosen to pass up a fifth year to pursue other opportunities-defenseman Dan Oppedisano, for example, graduated and took a job in finance in New York City after the 2007 season instead of remaining in Durham.

The rest of Duke's current seniors, including midfielders Mike Catalino, Steve Schoeffel and Sam Payton, have yet to announce their future plans.

-from staff reports

Share and discuss “Crotty to stay for fifth year” on social media.