SPORTS  |  GOLF

Green collects 1st win at Duke

Duke made up a seven-shot deficit on the final day of the River Landing Intercollegiate to win the tournament for the second straight year with a 14-under-par 850 team score. On Saturday, the final day of the tournament, four Blue Devils posted below-par rounds to help first-year head coach Jamie Green to his first tournament win at Duke.

Senior Clark Klaasen and sophomore Wes Roach both fired 3-under-par 69s in the final round to win the tournament by six strokes over its closest competition.

"It was a total team effort with everyone having their spot," head coach Jamie Green said. "We had a lot of terrific play this weekend. The guys played with tremendous resolve and were extremely confident in their play. The course was still a challenge, but the greens were perfect and putts were there to be had."

Roach finished the tournament tied in fifth place with a 3-under 213 and was followed by junior Adam Long in 13th place with an even-par 216 and Klaasen in 19th place with a 1-over 217. Senior Michael Quagliano added to the team's success by shooting a career-low 65, on the second day of the tournament.

"Wes had a great start today and played confident throughout the round," Green said. "His good start, along with Michael's great play really gave the rest of the team confidence."

Both players helped to rally the Blue Devils on Saturday after the team found itself 10 strokes behind the leader on the last nine holes. Duke pulled itself together, though, as Klaasen shot 4-under on holes 12 through 16.

Share and discuss “Green collects 1st win at Duke” on social media.