SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Duke takes pair of wins at home

Duke kicked off its busy March schedule in style Wednesday, breezing past UNC-Charlotte and N.C. Central without dropping a match.

In a rare tennis doubleheader, the Blue Devils cruised past the 49ers 7-0, and beat up on the Eagles by the same score in Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center.

The Blue Devils swept all three matches in doubles play against UNC-Charlotte, and didn't drop a set in singles en route to the easy victory.

The dual match was the first of junior David Lue's career.

"It was awesome to play in my first dual match and be able to represent my school," Lue said. "I didn't think about it being my first match during warmups, but when we started playing there was a little bit of nerves and adrenaline because it was my first match. I was pleased with my performance and was happy for the opportunity."

N.C. Central provided only slightly more competition for the Blue Devils. Once again, Duke won all three doubles matches and took every singles match in straight sets.

Several players recorded their second singles victories of the day, including top seed Kiril Dimitrov and No. 3 Torsten Wietoska.

The schedule gets tougher for the Blue Devils soon, though. Duke spends its spring break in Texas to take on TCU, Texas and Rice, beginning with the Horned Frogs Monday.

Share and discuss “Duke takes pair of wins at home” on social media.