Q & A with Bruce Jentleson

Bruce Jentleson, former foreign policy adviser to Al Gore and a professor of public policy studies, met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad Jan. 11 with other U.S. experts to discuss a variety of geopolitical issues concerning Syria, fellow Middle Eastern nations and the United States. The Henry L. Stimson Center and The United States Institute of Peace, two Washington, D.C., think tanks, sponsored this trip under a project called "Iraq and Its Neighbors."

Jentleson met with al-Assad unofficially with the hope of gaining insight on Middle Eastern nations such as Syria and their viewpoints on issues like the Iraq War. The Chronicle's Martin Njoroge spoke with Jentleson Monday about the details of the two-hour meeting

The Chronicle: What is al-Assad's general reaction to the election of President Obama?

Bruce Jentleson: The sense we got from Bashar is that he's interested in improving relations with America and striving towards more diplomacy.... One of the big differences between the Bush administration and the Obama administration is that under Bush, for the most part, we wouldn't really speak to the nations that stood against us. With Obama, there's more of a reliance on diplomacy.

TC: Bashar is an outspoken defender of Hamas and Hezbollah and other such anti-Israeli groups, and yet his nation and Israel recently began talks to come to a peaceful settlement over the Golan Heights region. Do you think that these talks have a chance to progress now, especially after the most recent Gaza strip conflict?

BJ: Syria and Israel were speaking through Turkey and stated that major strides were being made in talks over a peace settlement in Golan.... While the conflict between Hamas and Israel stopped the talks, Bashar stated that he wants to resume them after Israel's election in February....

As far as Hamas and Hezbollah are concerned, the tension caused by Syria's relation to them extends beyond just Israel.... Some of the [Muslim] countries want Lebanon to be a fully sovereign state. Also, Syria has been a longtime supporter of Hamas and this has caused tensions between Syria and nations such as Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

TC: America is a strong critic of Iran, yet Syria and Iran are allies. What role do you see this alliance playing in future American/Syrian relations?

BJ: Syria's relation with Iran is one of convenience and one that's provided them with high military funds.... However, the two nations still differ in matters concerning religion and foreign relations interests.... We can probably loosen this bond if we become a stronger ally to Syria..

TC: What does Bashar hope the future holds for Iraq?

BJ: One of the issues with Iraq, Syria and America is the "two-way" flow that's occurring. We see it as a border-security issue, but Bashar sees it as a city security issue. He simply doesn't want Syrian casualties due to the Iraq war. Also, between half-a-million to a million refugees have escaped into Syria, which is placing a drain on their economy.... He's staunchly stood against the war from the very beginning, but he understands that American participation is needed so that matters don't get worse.

Share and discuss “Q & A with Bruce Jentleson” on social media.