Davis, Gilbride lead Duke to opening wins

Senior Carolyn Davis and junior Lindsay Gilbride each scored eight goals in two games as the No. 3 Blue Devils raced out to a 2-0 start with wins over No. 19 Denver and California Friday and Sunday, respectively, at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium in Denver.

Duke (2-0) used an 11-2 run to break away from Denver Friday in a 17-8 win that was accompanied by flurries. The Blue Devils posted three straight scores before halftime to take a 9-5 lead into halftime, then scored five straight goals-including four in the first four minutes-to give themselves a comfortable lead.

Sarah Bullard posted a hat trick, and Caroline Cryer chipped in with two goals.

"For our first game, we came out really well, really took it to them and did better on the draw, which was a main goal," Davis said. "Our offense played amazing, especially in the second half. We were very dynamic, and the defense did a good job executing the game plan, so overall we're really happy."

The team became even more pleased with its effort Sunday, when it capped its unblemished weekend with a 19-7 victory. Gilbride and Davis combined for eight goals again, and this time, Cryer and Megan Del Monte added hat tricks. Cryer contributed five assists, too, to finish with eight points.

Senior goalie Kim Imbesi tallied six saves to give herself 19 for the weekend.

The Blue Devils controlled the game early, jumping out to a 9-0 lead before halftime.

"I just told our girls I'm really pleased with how we traveled this weekend, how we prepared and how we then performed," head coach Kerstin Kimel said. "I felt we were able to switch in and out of things, regroup if we had lulls, and play with the same intensity and focus we want to play with for the rest of the year. I'm very happy with the way we opened the season."

Share and discuss “Davis, Gilbride lead Duke to opening wins” on social media.