Why Dick Brodhead is a GENIUS

(ade sawyer)You might remember that last summer President Richard Brodhead ( or Dicky B as he's known in my head) signed on to the Amethyst Initiative; a group of college and university presidents which hopes to encourage debate on the drinking age.  Naturally, all of us at the Chronicle loved it.  And, of course, there were haters.

As it turns out though, Dicky B wasn't just acknowledging the futility of the current law.  He was also preparing us for life.  You're skeptical?  I'll prove it.

Enter Obama.  On Wednesday, after the House passed the stimulus bill, President Barack Obama (hold on, savor that...President...Obama...) invited congressional leaders to the White House for drinks.  There's a great article on Slate.com that talks about the virtues of presidential drinking.  Here's a Cliffnotes version:

• This represents a move toward bipartisanism because drinking loosens people up so they can relax and stop being so adversarial.
  • George W. Bush, due to alcoholism in earlier life, didn't drink in the White House.  Yet another reason why he was America's Debbie Downer.
  • The founding fathers liked to drink.
  • A lot of presidents liked to drink.
  • FDR loved to drink.
  • Nixon liked to drink too, but he had an alcohol problem (check clip 4, "Fiercest Adversary").
  • Congresspeople used to love drinking, but they're scared to drink now because they're afraid they'll get photographed.  Instead they just exercise a lot.
  • Drinking, although fun, won't cure all of Congress' partisan ills.
  • Sidebar: There's this thing for drunk-emailers called Mail Goggles.

While I have to reluctantly admit that drinking can't make everything better...at least not long-term, it's worth thinking about the fact that drinking is both a cause and a result of the social familiarity that can make it much easier for people to work together.  Duke students, the CCI committee and Dicky B have been clear on the power of alcohol as a social lubricant for some time.  Genius. Washington is just rediscovering it.

Duke is developing the next generation of people who will solve the world's problems.  Or make tons of money off of them (I-Bankers...).  Either way we're going to have to deal with people, and it can't hurt to grease the wheels a little.  Listen to Dicky B and the president.  They know what they're doing.

Get some practice this weekend!  (If you're of age of course. Anything else is illegal.)

Share and discuss “Why Dick Brodhead is a GENIUS” on social media.