Concert will address alcohol abuse

Next month, Duke students will have the opportunity to further their education- - not in the classroom, but at a concert with the ex-lead singer of Dispatch.

Duke University Union's major attractions committee is bringing the band Braddigan to Page Auditorium Feb. 24 and 25 to play a first-of-its-kind benefit concert-"Our community. Our choices." Previously, Braddigan's lead singer Brad Corrigan served as the lead singer of the popular indie band Dispatch, known for its hits such as "The General" and "Time Served."

Senior Vincent Ling, program director of DUU Major Attractions, said the purpose of the event is to show students that alcohol and drug abuse prevention and community service are important issues, adding that he hopes the show will appeal to Duke students in a unique way.

"At the end of the day, we're there to get people to think about it," Ling said. "People already know the facts [about alcohol]... it's been drilled into us in high school and college."

The concert at night will focus on alcohol and drug abuse prevention, while the day following will promote community service and give students a chance to interact with Braddigan. It was actually Corrigan's idea to stay the second day, Ling said. Since Dispatch broke up, Corrigan has played numerous benefit concerts and participated in many community service organizations and events.

The event is a collaboration among Major Attractions, Advocates for Drug and Alcohol Awareness, IFC, Panhel, Healthy Devils, Duke's Alcohol & Substance Abuse Prevention Center, Student Affairs, DukeEngage, the Community Service Center, Duke Student Health and Duke Athletics.

Both the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Association will be using the event for new member training, replacing the typical alcohol and drug abuse lectures rushees usually get.

Greek organizations have reserved about 500 spots for their members. IFC president Lee Hathaway, a senior, said DUU approached him early in the planning process at the beginning of the school year to gauge Greek interest.

"Its a great change of pace for new members, especially since the guys from Dispatch are coming down," Hathaway said, adding that fraternity presidents nearly unanimously accepted the plan to make the concert a mandatory event for new members. Hathaway also said he is excited they are taking a different, more interactive approach to training this year. Even though many Greek members will attend, it is by no means a Greek show, Ling said, adding that he hopes it will have a wide appeal.

Although Braddigan is headlining the event, there will also be a community feel to the program, which will also feature videos, comedy and speeches, Ling said. Two Duke bands will be chosen to open the night-time show. During the concert, football head coach David Cutcliffe will make an appearance, Ling said in a press release.

Tom Szigethy, associate dean and director of ASAP Center, said he has worked mostly as an adviser to DUU in planning, and has encouraged the event as a way to facilitate conversation about alcohol and drug use both at Duke and in American culture.

"This is a show-stopper to get students involved in the issue," Szigethy said. "The message overall coming out of the program is how your individual action can have an impact on this bigger culture, not just at Duke but also in the surrounding community."

In the coming month, DUU hopes that hype for the event will build by word of mouth, Ling said. Tickets will be free and distributed starting the day before the event.

"There is always a stigma attached to these types of shows," Ling said. "[But this one is] not telling people what's right or wrong. It lets people hear different perspectives."

Share and discuss “Concert will address alcohol abuse” on social media.