2 face off in student affairs race

The two candidates for Duke Student Government's vice president of student affairs bring to the table unique and different campus leadership experiences-one focused mainly in programming and the other in policy.

Junior Lauren Maisel said the relationships with student leaders and administrators that she developed through her involvement in the Duke University Union and DSG will help her implement beneficial policies. Freshman Alex Wang's tenure as a senator on DSG's Student Affairs Committee has shown him how DSG operates and helped him develop the "common sense" that underpins his campaign, he said.

The vice president of student affairs is a very broadly defined position, said incumbent Lucy McKinstry, a sophomore. She added that communication skills, instituitional knowledge and ambition are necessary to succeed.

Maisel touted her experience as executive vice president of DUU and co-president of the Duke chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union as preparation for a successful tenure.

"I'm incredibly persistent, experienced and diverse in my experiences," said Maisel, who is also a member of the DSG Judiciary. "I have a proven track record of success."

A political science and Russian double major from Brooklyn, N.Y., Maisel said her campaign centers around four themes-streamlining University bureaucracy, maximizing programs and services, curtailing restrictions on student behavior and minimizing costs to students. Maisel said she hopes to simplify space reservation policies, improve the diversity of employers at career fairs and expand the cultural offerings of the Office of Student Activities and Facilities.

She noted that senators need to collaborate effectively with other student leaders and administrators to implement successful policies. Maisel added that her years at Duke have helped her develop relationships with student leaders and administrators that are critical for any vice president.

"An important part of the position is recognizing that you will inherit issues and there will be unexpected issues," se said. "Students need to realize that the most important things for a candidate to have is the experience and credibility with student leaders and administrators to be taken seriously."

The vice president position is about more than just building relationships, Wang said. He noted that he has the practicality to implement policies that will tangibly affect student life.

"The best way to unify my platform is 'common sense,'" said Wang, a political science and economics double major from Hong Kong. "I'm trying to point out things I see wrong at Duke, and it is common sense to fix these things."

Wang said he wants to increase student involvement in Central Campus development, make DSG finances more transparent and renovate the West Union Building to make it more appealing to students.

"Being on DSG is a huge deal to me," said Wang, who is also president of Pegram House Council and a DUU freshman intern. "I know how DSG works and the limits and purview of its power."

Wang pointed to tangible changes he has helped implement this year as an indication of his ability to understand student concerns and get things done. As senator, Wang said he has helped improve the quality of the East Campus Wellness Center, develop a peer-counseling hotline and organize Krzyzewskiville health packs.

Share and discuss “2 face off in student affairs race” on social media.