Oscars night decoded

Now that the writers' strike is over, it's back to business for Hollywood. As everyone knows, for better or for worse, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Awards is the biggest night in the industry. The 80th Oscars, hosted by Jon Stewart, promises to be a night of glitz, glamour and God shout-outs. recess weighs in on the nominees with Film Editor Andrew Hibbard and, the man-in-charge, Editor Varun Lella.

Actress

A: Julie Christie gets my bet, but I'd like to see Laura Linney take it for The Savages.

V: I don't even know why Cate Blanchett is on this list. Did anyone see Elizabeth 2?

A: No they didn't, but it's obligatory that the Academy nominate Cate Blanchett in two categories every year, even if it's best documentary.

V: I think she's been nominated in at least one category for at least 50 years. I think that's a fact.

A: Didn't she beat Katharine Hepburn in '52?

V: I think she did. She did beat Katharine Hepburn. I say that Julie Christie will get it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Juno fever--and we'll be talking about this a lot-strikes and Ellen Page wins for playing somebody who has no intonation in their voice.

Screenplay (Original)

V: I think we can both agree that not necessarily what should win but what's going to win is Juno.

A: If Juno wins nothing else, it is going to win this one.

V: Everyone knows the Academy loves strippers-turned-writers. They loved Ron Howard, also a stripper-turned-writer, and they'll love Diablo Cody.

A: They loved Matt Damon. And Ben Affleck-although Hollywood has more or less forgotten about him.

V: I believe those are prostitutes-turned-writers.

A: I'd like to see Lars and the Real Girl take it. I think it's very subtle and emotional. It's very funny, and it's very original. It probably deserves all of Juno's nominations. It just deserves to win.

V: It deserves to win. But will it be able to beat Juno? No.

Best Film

V: So, last two categories and the most important--best film and best director. Let's start with best film. Here we have a lot of movies that a lot of people didn't watch this year. Nothing new about that. Who do you think is going to win?

A: Again, this is a clash of the titans. As you said, Michael Clayton was a great movie for George Clooney, but it was a very George Clooney movie. The Oscar's new trend is to nominate that funny indie comedy that won't win-this year it's Juno. It doesn't deserve to win. And if it is that funny indie comedy that wins, I will forever protest the Oscars.

V: That's a strong statement. I understand this is a race between No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, which are both from the same studio-so good job Miramax. But, people were saying that Atonement was really the big favorite going in. It did really well at the Golden Globes. Can we discount Atonement at the Oscars?

A: It was a beautifully shot film. It was well acted. I think the first 45 minutes or so of it were definitely up there with There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men, but the rest of it fizzled in comparison. And really, will anything with Keira Knightley as a lead ever win?

V: Probably not. She's like Jessica Alba, but she has respect because she's British. And I think, ultimately, you have two movies that are so visceral, so raw, and it's just different than the normal Academy gloss of A Beautiful Mind and Titanic that usually takes the prize. And having such real films both be up for the best motion picture, it'd be a shame if neither one of them won.

A: Especially when you have two of today's best filmmakers behind them. By far I think that the Coen Brothers and PT Anderson are going down in history. But my vote for who's going to take it is No Country for Old Men because it's more in line with what the Oscars are.

V: But do you think it deserves to win?

A: I do. I think they both do.

V: Ultimately, There Will Be Blood is a fantastic film but it really drives on its intensity. However, No Country for Old Men is a movie that can be silent and still really capture you and draw you in.

Best Director

V: And then the last and most important category is achievement in directing. Right away I just have to say if the Coen Brothers don't win, I don't know what I'm going to do. One, they're brothers. That's just an automatic bonus for them. Two, it's just put together so well that it would be a surprise if they didn't win.

A: Yeah. I see what you're saying. I'm a huge fan of PT-now Paul Thomas, maybe that's why he's finally made it into this category-Anderson but I see. I actually think that it's a huge insult to PT Anderson, the Coen Brothers and the other directors that Jason Reitman is in this category.

V: There's no reason for Jason Reitman to be in the achievement in directing category. Say what you will about Juno. It's cute. It's funny. Yeah, it's something that white yuppies will love and cherish and go to the theater for, but it's a movie that's about its script and its quirky actors. It's a movie that directed itself. By no means is the directing in Juno even close to something that should be considered in this category. Give the nomination to Tim Burton, give it to Atonement guy. Just don't give it to Jason Reitman.

A: Yeah. I had high hopes for Juno going in, but I think that Thank You for Smoking was a wasted opportunity and Juno was too. And, for the record, we hated Juno before that was the popular attitude.

V: And the biggest disappointment has to be no nomination for Ryan Gosling in Lars and the Real Girl. And the fact that our opinions won't at all matter.

Share and discuss “Oscars night decoded” on social media.