Security concerns, Central Campus top GPSC docket

The Graduate and Professional Student Council discussed plans for the new Central Campus and held a discussion with Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, at their general body meeting Tuesday night.

Recent off-campus robberies spurred conversation regarding on-campus safety and the need for additional lighting and security on Central.

Council President Crystal Brown, a third-year law student, said in an interview after the meeting that several graduate and professional students were unsettled by the incidents, due to both their frequency and proximity.

Members discussed and took a survey to gauge interest in housing and other spaces on Central in preparation for an upcoming Board of Trustees meeting. They also once again voiced their opinions about the importance of allocating some space for graduate and professional students.

Later in the meeting, Moneta spoke to GPSC members to "reopen the pipeline of communication."

"I asked for the opportunity to come speak," he said. "I thought it might be high time for explaining how [the Office of Student Affairs] serves graduate and professional students."

Moneta commended the involvement of many student affairs departments and organizations with graduate and professional students, including the Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Life and the Mary Lou Williams Center.

Council members asked Moneta about additional career services and new facilities. Currently, only one employee of the Career Center is responsible for all the graduate students.

Moneta said each professional school has its own staff, adding that one of the leading issues is funding for additional positions.

He concluded with a discussion of the physical well-being of the entire student body.

Graduate and professional students were concerned with preventative care as well as locations and permission to partake in recreational activity.

Moneta said outsourcing venues can often provide a simple solution.

"Obviously we don't have our own ski slopes," he said. "Our surfing team doesn't surf nearby, so a lot of groups use outside companies, not only out of convenience but to support the local economy."

In other business:

The council discussed several future social events before approving the budget for the upcoming semester. Members said they were unhappy about the University's move to cut funding from cultural programs for graduate and professional students.

Share and discuss “Security concerns, Central Campus top GPSC docket” on social media.