Va. Tech tries to build on '06-'07

Coming off a surprisingly successful ACC season, the Hokies need a talented group of freshmen to step up and mature quickly if they intend to repeat their 2007 performance.

It will not be easy, though, as the departures of Zabian Dowdell and Jamon Gordon have left a gaping hole in the backcourt. Dowdell received All-America honors after averaging team-highs in points (17.4) and minutes (33.8). Gordon was also a consistent performer, posting over 11 points, four assists and two steals per contest. The duo also ranked first and second in steals last season in the ACC.

Head coach Seth Greenberg knows that his team will have to adopt a new style of play this year to compensate for the losses of his two stars.

"We're not going to be as good a driving team as we were a year ago," Greenberg said. "Those two guys were really, really good.... We've got to establish ourselves a little more effectively in the post. We don't have the guards to rely on."

Greenberg hopes that his athletic 6-foot-7 senior Deron Washington grows into a leadership role. Washington led Viginia Tech in rebounding as part of an impressive 2006-2007 campaign, and is now the Hokies' most proficient returning player.

Although Washington provides strength in the swing game, a definite concern for the Hokies is lack of experience at point guard. Freshman Malcolm Delaney has been touted as a prolific scorer with range and is expected to be the point guard of the future, but he will likely have to battle fellow freshman Hank Thorns for minutes and the starting job.

As a result, Greenberg said forwards Washington and A.D. Vassallo must establish themselves better in the post this year. Additionally, the coach is looking for freshman forward Jeff Allen to be a significant presence down low. Virginia Tech must also use its athleticism to push the ball.

"We've been working on running the whole time, similar to how UNC played last season," Washington said of the Hokies' preseason mindset.

It was a difficult offseason for Greenberg and the Hokies, however, after the tragic April 16 campus shooting in Blacksburg. Multiple top recruits reneged on their original commitments to the program. Six-foot-10 Augustus Gilchrist decided against the Hokies after expressing reservations about safety and instead enrolled at Maryland. Nigel Munson, who was a likely and much-needed starter at point guard, was released from scholarship.

With so many freshmen expected to clock significant minutes and questions still looming, Virginia Tech has a lot of room to grow if it wants to return to the top of the ACC standings.

Share and discuss “Va. Tech tries to build on '06-'07” on social media.