Stith focuses on curbing crime in city, targets lacrosse case mishaps

In the midst of escalating gang activity, crowded schools and a costly civil lawsuit stemming from the Duke lacrosse case, incumbent Bill Bell is facing stiff competition from challenger Thomas Stith in the race for the mayor's office.

"I really feel Durham is at a point where we need strong, bold leadership to address issues impacting our community," Stith said. "Durham has the potential not only to become a leading city in North Carolina, but in the country."

The initial handling of the lacrosse allegations has already become an election issue in light of the estimated $30-million civil lawsuit filed by attorneys representing Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans, Trinity '06, against the city last Friday. The three were falsely accused of rape in March 2006.

Stith said he believes Bell pressured the Durham Police Department into rushing the investigation of the lacrosse case and therefore set the stage for litigation against the city.

"The mayor needs to be clearer on his involvement in the investigation," Stith said. "It is clear he tried to expedite the process. The question is in pressuring the department [to do so]... did he sacrifice thoroughness?"

But James Coleman, a professor at the School of Law and frequent commentator on the case, said that the mayor elected in November will have only a limited role in the handling of the suit and its outcome.

"The lawsuit is primarily against the police department," he said. "The mayor is the chief executive of the city so if there is a judgement against the city, the mayor has to discharge whatever the city's obligations are in the judgement.... But he's not going to call the legal shots in the election. He's not going to direct strategy."

Coleman added that he did not believe Bell had a "culpable role" in the case, nor that the issue would affect Stith's chances in the election.

"I'd be very surprised if he were elected," Coleman said. "I'm not sure what his appeal is to the majority of Durham voters."

Reducing the level of violent crime in Durham and making the city more accountable are also at the top of his agenda, Stith added.

He said he feels his campaign is going very well and that Durham voters are responding to his call for positive change in the community.

According to the latest campaign finance reports available on his Web site, Stith's campaign has raised quadruple the amount of Bell's campaign.

"Financial support is one way to measure support. Votes are another," Stith said. "It speaks to the momentum the campaign has that people are willing to financially support for an effort for change. It also confirms that the city is ready to change and move forward."

Some, however, have criticized Stith's campaign tactics.

Among such strategies were the hiring of the consulting firm TelOpinion to conduct what Bell has called "leading" telephone polls and bold campaign fliers attacking the mayor.

"I'm a little disappointed that [Stith] is relying on his high-paid consultants to conduct a campaign with inaccuracies and tactics we're not used to seeing in Durham," said City Council member Mike Woodard.

Others, however, said they believe Stith is a dedicated public servant and such tactics are part of any election.

"Stith has rendered outstanding service on the council," said council member Howard Clement. "He's doing what he thinks he has to do in order to win."

Share and discuss “Stith focuses on curbing crime in city, targets lacrosse case mishaps” on social media.