Grass-roots group brings Durham community together

It's not everyday that 500 individuals from El Centro Hispano, the Judea Reform Congregation, the Ar-Razzaq Islamic Center and the Watts Street Baptist Church can gather under one roof with a common goal in mind.

But through the work of Durham Congregations, Associations and Neighborhoods, a rapidly growing, grass-roots community organization, such a phenomena happens once a month when institutions of various affiliations and backgrounds come together to address issues important to the community.

Durham CAN is an organization that defies conventional definition or categorization as "a movement, a protest group, a political action committee, or a service organization," said CAN Director Ivan Parra.

"We are an organization that seeks to bring about a voice for the most important institutions in the community," he said.

Now composed of 25 primarily faith-based member organizations, Durham CAN has achieved a great deal for the good of the community by negotiating with city leaders, elected officials and other decision-makers, members said.

"There is a possibility through Durham CAN for people to put their faith into action for a better world and a better community," Parra said.

Among their accomplishments, Durham CAN leaders cite launching an initiative to test thousands of children for lead poisoning, enacting a living-wage policy for the City of Durham, Durham County and Duke employees and implementing regular housing inspections as some of their most significant.

Durham CAN members said the organization is able to recruit groups of various economic, ethnic and religious backgrounds because it focuses on issues that affect the entire community.

"Nobody likes lead poisoning," said John Friedman, rabbi for the Judea Reform Congregation. "That's just it. [Durham CAN] is not partisan, it's not ideological. It's a very practical, down-to-earth way of addressing problems."

Laura Grattan, a graduate student in political science and active CAN volunteer, said Durham CAN's success is rooted in "being a force that mobilizes marginal and unheard interest" instead of involving itself in "piece-of-the-pie struggles."

Others also noted that Durham CAN allows a wide array of people to participate in public life and gives them a forum for speaking to important decision-makers.

Among their most renowned practices is inviting elected officials to answer yes or no questions about their positions on various issues followed by a brief explanation.

"What [politicians] need is the people right in front of them telling them what they want," said Nadeen Bir, the youth program associate director at El Centro Hispano. "It makes it easier for political figures and other decision-makers when they get a chance to hear from the people."

For those jaded with the inefficiency of the political system, Durham CAN provides an effective alternative to work toward change, Parra said.

"People are frustrated with traditional politics that are sometimes corrupt and unaccountable," he said. "What we have is an infrastructure through which a lot of people can participate in public life... but it's not a system based on who makes the largest contribution."

Share and discuss “Grass-roots group brings Durham community together” on social media.