Southpoint exhibition gets under skin

If an anatomy textbook came to life, it might look like "BODIES... The Exhibition," a travelling exhibit of more than 250 skinless cadavers and organ specimens that opened in Durham Wednesday.

"I think this is a life-changing experience for people," said Dr. Roy Glover, the medical director of "BODIES" and a retired anatomy professor at the University of Michigan School of Medicine. "It's an opportunity to learn more about yourself so that you can live a healthier and more productive life."

The exhibition is located at The Streets at Southpoint, and it will remain in Durham until Aug. 5 before travelling to Amsterdam, Netherlands.

The exhibition aims to be primarily educational.

Visitors begin their tour looking at actual human skeletons and end looking at specimens that demonstrate various human diseases.

Bodies at the exhibit are arranged in a variety of poses to emphasize the different parts of the body. Often the bodies are put in athletic situations, stretching to hit a volleyball or shoot a basketball.

Despite many positive reviews, the exhibit has still managed to get under some people's skin.

Groups in New York, Miami and Seattle protested the exhibition when it came to their cities and wrote letters to local media outlets. Activists are concerned that the bodies may have been obtained illegally and that the exhibition is disrespectful to the deceased.

According to statements from the exhibition's organizers, "BODIES" obtained all their cadavers from Dalian Medical University in China, which in turn received them from the Chinese government.

Some protesters are concerned the bodies may have been political prisoners or citizens who never gave consent to have their remains put on display for thousands of people to inspect.

Glover denies that "BODIES" has done anything illegal or unethical.

"We've taken every legal step to ensure that the bodies at the exhibition were obtained in compliance with every domestic and international law," he said. "We've put together an exhibition that displays the bodies in a comfortable space and in a dignified and respectful way."

"BODIES" assures its visitors that all specimens died of natural causes.

The preservation process keeps the bodies intact for many decades after death-a modern mummification. The specimen is immersed in acetone to remove all bodily fluids. The dried body is then placed in a polymer bath and sealed in a vacuum chamber. The acetone evaporates and is replaced by the polymer.

Finally, a catalyst is added and the body hardens to create a specimen that will not decay.

Some of the bodies preserved by this process are already pushing 30, but they are still on display and in good condition. The cadavers attain a sort of immortality-they will last indefinitely.

Exhibit organizers arranged the bodies with education in mind, not art, but Glover said visitors often remark that there is an element of art to the exhibition.

In fact, one specimen is arranged to mimic artist Auguste Rodin's "The Thinker."

"There is a great degree of artistic beauty about the body," Glover said. "But we enter into the exhibition for the sake of education, not for the sake of art."

Regardless of people's reasons for coming, exhibition directors said they hope Durham's medical community will embrace it, and that "BODIES" will bring benefits to its residents.

"I think when we leave, the city of Durham-the city of medicine, interestingly-will be a much healthier place," Glover said. "That will be good not only for the general population, it will be a great support for the medical community as well."

Share and discuss “Southpoint exhibition gets under skin” on social media.