Smith comes through in the clutch

RALEIGH - As is the custom, the Blue Devil came out Tuesday evening with a taunt written on its forehead.

The sign read, "Temple Hoo?"-a play on words with Temple's nickname, but also a reference to the fact that Temple did not receive much recognition during the season.

All throughout the year, the same could be said of Wanisha Smith, quite possibly the most overlooked player on the team because of the giant presence of the likes of Lindsey Harding, Abby Waner and Alison Bales.

In the second round of the NCAA Tournament, though, Bales managed just four points and Temple had essentially glued itself to sharp-shooter Waner, holding her to just five field goal attempts. Smith sprang into the spotlight and shook Duke out of its mid-game rut, possibly saving the Blue Devils' season in the process.

With 13:18 left in the second half, Temple had reduced Duke's lead to a very uncomfortable five points and had all the momentum going for it thanks to a 12-6 run over the previous five minutes.

Over the last minute, Fatima Maddox had made both free throws after drawing Abby Waner's third foul and Lady Comfort had added a layup. It was clear that some of the Blue Devil players could feel the pressure.

The dark blue mass of fans rose in support for the Blue Devils, hoping that their amazing season would not end like their run in the ACC Tournament had.

Then, with the smooth, quick flick of the right wrist, Smith shattered the Owls' hopes for a comeback, nailing a clutch three-pointer from the top of the key that put Duke ahead safely for good.

Smith's timely shot was just one of several decisive plays that helped the Blue Devils when they needed it most.

Later in the half, Temple once again had cut the lead down to five off a jumper by Comfort, who was fouled by Joy Cheek on the shot. But Comfort missed the ensuing free throw, and on the very next play, Smith rebounded her own miss-eventually resulting in a jump shot by Carrem Gay and a lead that would never get smaller.

"I was just taking what was given to me," Smith said. "As a team, we were moving the ball around, and the shots that I hit were open after five or six passes."

While Lindsey Harding carried the load most of the first half, it was Smith's relentless attacking that helped Duke stop Temple runs and draw crucial fouls as the game remained tense until late into the second period.

In the second half, Smith scored 10 points, and while she only shot 2-for-7 from the field for the half, she more than made up for her missed shots by grabbing four offensive rebounds during the period. Most of the offensive rebounds resulted in her drawing fouls on the Owl players.

As a result, Smith shot seven of the 10 second-half free throws for the Blue Devils, converting five of them.

"She did score, but I think her penetration really hurt us," Temple head coach Dawn Staley said. "The heart of our defense really hurt because we had to help and she could kick it out."

As the game concluded and the teams lined up to shake hands, Staley shook hands with all the players. Once Smith came up, she added an extra congratulatory pat on the back for the player whom she had not expected to play so well.

"She was one whom I didn't think would be as aggressive offensively," Staley said. "When Waner's not getting her points, somebody else steps up for them and she was one of them."

Share and discuss “Smith comes through in the clutch” on social media.