With UNC looming, Duke enjoys rare respite

The rigors of an NCAA basketball schedule on a student-athlete are certainly astounding. For No. 1 Duke, this season has meant road trips to arenas as far away as Ann Arbor, Mich., Piscataway, N.J., and Knoxville, Tenn.

In fact, the Blue Devils have not had more than five days between games since they were allotted an eight-day break over Christmas between trips to tournaments in Cancun, Mexico and Hanover, N.H.

But now, since beating No. 6 Maryland in College Park, Md. last Sunday, Duke has been granted a one week respite before it takes on No. 4 North Carolina in Cameron Indoor Stadium Sunday.

"I think it's good," Abby Waner said. "It's nice to get our feet back under us before another big game."

The big game is the last of the Blue Devils' regular season and is the only remaining obstacle standing in the way of a perfect record-something the Duke players are well aware of.

"I think [the undefeated season] is there, it's hard not to look at it," Waner said. "An undefeated record would be nice, however, we just need to concentrate on the game ahead."

To intensify matters, the game is against the rival Tar Heels, who, until this season, have had Duke's number. Ivory Latta and company defeated the Blue Devils in both of their matchups last season to extend their win streak to five games.

But the Blue Devils snapped that streak earlier in the season when they beat then-No. 2 UNC 64-53 in Chapel Hill Feb. 8. And this time around, Duke will not only be playing at home, but it will have an entire week to prepare.

The team took two days off to start the week before they hit the hardwood today.

"Coach G is usually good about giving us time so we can get physically rested and mentally rested, especially after big games," Waner said.

Even after a two-day break, however, the team will have plenty of time before Sunday's showdown. With just one day between some games this season, four days of practice this week to prepare for the Tar Heels seems like a foreign luxury.

But since the Blue Devils have struggled with their intensity at times this season, the long break begs the question of whether or not it will have an adverse effect on the team.

"We've played enough top-25 teams and in front of enough sell-out crowds that I don't think we psych ourselves out," Waner said. "I think we've proven we can have two days off and get ready."

Instead, the time allows for more anticipation leading up to the last game of the season, for both players and fans alike.

"It's really exciting to see the turnout we're getting," Waner said. "You know the Goestenkorsopolis? I think that's just awesome."

Share and discuss “With UNC looming, Duke enjoys rare respite” on social media.