Strohbehn, former Duke provost, dies

John Strohbehn, who served as provost from 1994 to 1999 and was a driving force behind improvements to Duke's science and engineering curricula, passed away Thursday at the age of 70.

Strohbehn acted as the University's chief academic officer during a time of change and progress. An electrical engineer by training, he was responsible for hiring Kristina Johnson, dean of the Pratt School of Engineering. Strohbehn is also credited for increasing minority faculty and student enrollment.

Former University President Nan Keohane, under whom Strohbehn served, wrote in an e-mail that Strohbehn successfully immersed himself in the Duke community after working more than three decades at Dartmouth College.

"He enjoyed being with students and other faculty members and found the provost's job a great opportunity to get to know people across the University," Keohane said. "During his term in office, he laid the groundwork for many of the good things that have happened in the University since he stepped down. We will miss him."

Johnson said she will remember Strohbehn not only for his frankness and his laugh, but also especially for authoring "Duke at the Millennium," a document in which he laid out the case for enlarging the faculty-and by extension the student body and facilities-of Pratt.

"It's had an enormous impact and it will have an even bigger impact on the University as a whole," she said. "I owe him a debt of gratitude."

Former colleagues spoke of Strohbehn as a warm, friendly co-worker and an excellent provost.

"I was very fond of him as a human being as well as my boss as well as chief academic officer of Duke University," said Judith Ruderman, vice provost for academic and administrative services. "He was a very kind and decent man who worked tirelessly for the good of Duke. He unfortunately got sick very young and died much too young, and I'm very sad about that."

Current Provost Peter Lange, who served as vice provost for academic and international affairs before succeeding Strohbehn in 1999, said his former boss will be remembered for his vision in the sciences.

Strohbehn retired from his position as professor emeritus of electrical and biomedical engineering in 2003.

A triple-graduate of Stanford University, he began his teaching career at Dartmouth in 1963, serving as provost from 1987 to 1993.

A memorial service will be held at Dartmouth in April.

Share and discuss “Strohbehn, former Duke provost, dies” on social media.