Duke holds off Georgia Tech

In commemoration of head coach Mike Krzyzewski's 700th win at Duke, Director of Athletics Joe Alleva gave Krzyzewski the game ball after the Blue Devils' contest against Georgia Tech Sunday. But it took an entire team effort for Duke to beat the Yellow Jackets 71-62 in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"That was a heck of a game," Krzyzewski said. "They're good. They're better than when they beat us down in Atlanta."

Duke (20-7, 7-6 in the ACC) rode a hot first half and a stout defensive effort to hold off Georgia Tech (17-9, 5-7) down the stretch for its second win a row.

"This was such a big game for us," Krzyzewski said. "The last time we were home was Carolina."

Georgia Tech tried to make the game interesting when a three-pointer by Anthony Morrow with 5:53 remaining pulled the Yellow Jackets to within five points, 61-56, after Duke had led by as many as 17 in the game.

On the next possession, however, the Blue Devils broke through Georgia Tech's press, and Dave McClure slammed home an open dunk. From that point on, Duke made eight of 12 free throws to hold onto its lead and complete the victory-something the team struggled to do in its recent four-game losing streak.

Duke fended off the Yellow Jackets with aggressive defense and a quick-striking offense that took advantage of Georgia Tech's mistakes.

As a team, Duke recorded 15 steals in the game and scored 35 points off 22 Yellow Jacket turnovers.

"I credit them for being more aggressive than us," Georgia Teach head coach Paul Hewitt said. "They just absolutely battled us."

The Blue Devils' attacking style of play helped them score 41 points in the first half to take a commanding 15-point lead.

The team faltered briefly to start the second half, however, and did not score a point for the first 4:08. But behind a set of three-pointers from Greg Paulus-two of his four in the game-and an old fashioned three-point play by Gerald Henderson, the team again pushed its lead to double digits at 50-34.

Georgia Tech later tried to pull back into the game when Ra'Sean Dickey finished a three-point play on a possession after Duke missed three open three-point shots. That play brought the Yellow Jackets within 10 at 51-41.

"If you're in a game like this that's like a huge punch because that's a six-point swing," Krzyzewski said.

After the teams exchanged scores Georgia Tech pulled to 55-47 with 8:25 left in the game. A key three from Paulus, however, slowed the Yellow Jacket effort.

That play was only one of several Duke made down the stretch to keep control of the game. Without ever falling into a stall offense, the Blue Devils remained competitive for the entire contest and came through with key fast-break scores and open three-point shots when they were needed.

Aided by an offensive effort that often pushed the ball up the court and kept in front of the Yellow Jackets, Duke's ball movement was noticeably improved. Paulus scored 15 points, Jon Scheyer 14 and DeMarcus Nelson 13 to lead the balanced attack.

The offensive improvement, however, started on the defensive end. Duke held freshmen stars Javaris Crittenton and Thaddeus Young to just 10 and seven points, respectively-numbers that are significantly below their season averages.

"We wanted to concentrate on [Crittenton]," Paulus said. "Just keep running guys at him, make him work for everything."

Mirroring his team's style, Krzyzewski was excited during the game, pacing the bench and high-fiving each of his players as time wound down.

"I just was really emotional today," Krzyzewski said. "It's been one of the most interesting seasons that I've had in my 32 years, but a damn good one."

NOTES:

Sophomore Josh McRoberts scored six points, had four rebounds, four assists, three blocks and two steals in 32 minutes of action.... With Boston College (9-4) and Virginia Tech (8-4) losing this weekend to North Carolina and N.C. State, respectively, Duke is just two behind third place in the loss column.

Share and discuss “Duke holds off Georgia Tech” on social media.