Senior breaks school track record

In his last hometown performance in the Terrier Classic in Boston, senior Dan King broke the Duke 400-meter record.

With a time of 47.61 seconds, King broke the record by more than a second in what head coach Norm Ogilvie said was "a breakthrough performance that takes him up to a new level."

King was not the only men's runner to find success in Boston, though. Junior Matt Danforth ran the second-fastest 400-meter in Duke history with a time of 49.05, and sophomore Nick Trombold followed with the fifth-fastest Duke time of 49.52.

While the men didn't field a 4x400 relay team, Danforth was able to help the Distance Medley Relay to an IC4A qualifying time and a meet win. Junior Chris Spooner and sophomores Chris Rowland and Geary Gubbins were also members of the relay team.

The Blue Devil women distance runners dominated the 3,000-meter field. Senior Shannon Rowbury came in first with a NCAA provisional qualifying time of 9:19.07. Senior Liz Wort came in a little more than five seconds later to take second place, and senior Sally Meyerhoff took sixth place.

The Duke field team had three second place performances and a Duke record at the UNC Fast Times. Junior Jade Ellis came in second in the long jump and senior Debra Vento and junior Lara Jones also finished second, scoring ECAC qualifying marks in the high jump and pole vault, respectively.

Freshman Michael Schallmo threw the fourth-longest Duke shotput mark of 50 feet and 4.5 inches at UNC. His throw was also the longest Blue Devil throw since 1966.

Share and discuss “Senior breaks school track record” on social media.