Late football rally falls short after missed PAT

With a kick and a block, Duke's season came full circle Saturday, as the Blue Devils fell to North Carolina for the 15th time in the past 16 years.

After defensive end Patrick Bailey returned an interception for a touchdown with 2:49 left in the game, Duke (0-12, 0-8 in the ACC) trailed by just one point, 45-44. Although placekicker Randy DeSmyter had already had one extra point blocked by UNC (3-9, 2-6) earlier, head coach Ted Roof sent his senior kicker out for another try in the first and last start of his career.

The Tar Heels penetrated through the middle of the line and blocked the kick. With no timeouts remaining, Duke could not recover an onside kick and regain possession, and the Tar Heels ran out the final minutes of the game.

The same Duke sideline that had been celebrating a comeback against its arch-rival-and was even warned for its excessive reaction-suddenly fell silent as it witnessed the Blue Devils' season finale close out in the same fashion as many of its previous games. Despite a number of close contests, Duke finished the season winless for the fourth time in 11 years.

"I was jumping up and down, running down the sideline," running back Re'quan Boyette said of Bailey's play. "All I knew is that we had just scored and the game was going to be tied. We talk a lot about playing the next play as if it's your last and you're not guaranteed anything. I was pretty much guaranteeing that we were going to make the [extra point], and we didn't."

The play was eerily reminiscent of the Blue Devils' second game of the year, when placekicker Joe Surgan had his field goal blocked by Wake Forest as time expired, and Duke lost, 14-13.

Roof said he decided to try to tie the game rather than go for the win with a two-point conversion because the game was at home and the Blue Devils would have the momentum going into overtime.

"We thought we had it straightened out," Roof said. "Looking back, I wish I wouldn't have [kicked the extra point.] But I'd like to always look back and make decisions because that would make it easier."

Duke and North Carolina entered the fourth quarter deadlocked, 31-31, but Tar Heel Brandon Tate, who already had a touchdown on a 97-yard kickoff return, brought back a punt 54 yards for another score. After forcing a Duke three-and-out, UNC scored another touchdown on a 45-yard run by Justin Warren-who had just 32 yards rushing all season before that play-and the Tar Heels were up 14 with just over eight minutes to play.

The Blue Devils responded with a 10-play drive that culminated in a catch in the flat by fullback Tielor Robinson, who tumbled into the endzone for the score. Duke ran the same play to the flats in the redzone four times Saturday, and it resulted in three touchdowns and a two-point conversion for Robinson on only 11 yards receiving.

"It was open every time," said freshman quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, who threw for four touchdowns against the Tar Heels. "They weren't covering the flats, they were playing the run. They weren't honoring Tielor, so we took advantage of it."

Despite their share of chances, the Blue Devils have been consistently unable to convert their opportunities to earn comeback victories this season, and Saturday's contest was no different. The graduating seniors leave with a record of 7-39 and finish with a 20-game losing streak, but Roof said their contribution to the team has been invaluable.

"Some people who don't understand are going to remember [the seniors] for their record," Roof said. "But the people that are inside the program are going to remember them for the foundation that they've built and helping to change the culture. The sad part of it is, when we start winning games here, they're not going to be here to reap the benefits and the fruits of their labor."

Share and discuss “Late football rally falls short after missed PAT” on social media.