Henderson struggles with early injuries

News about Greg Paulus' foot injury has dominated coverage of Duke's basketball program this fall, but the sophomore point guard will not be the only player to enter the season hampered by injury. Freshman Gerald Henderson has also been banged up this fall, with a severe ankle sprain being the worst of a myriad of setbacks.

The 6-foot-4 wing also tore muscle tissue in his hip, was poked in the eye and was slowed down by exercise-induced asthma, head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

"Gerald was out most of the preseason," Krzyzewski said. "He had a hell of a September and early October, and that's why he's a little bit behind. But he's good."

Henderson, who was on crutches and forced to sit out of workouts for two weeks with the ankle sprain, has attended practice since day one but said he was about 80 percent entering the preseason.

"The first day of practice I was there limping around a little bit," Henderson said. "I've been through it since I got back down here, but I'm healing up nicely so it's looking good."

For a player who is arguably Duke's most athletic and who could undertake a greater role while Paulus continues to heal, Henderson's injuries could have a potentially detrimental effect for the Blue Devils. Henderson said he is in good shape, but not yet as strong as he would like to be to play the season. As for any negative effects to his athleticism, his performance in the Blue-White game seemed to dispel any concerns.

The freshman was the third-highest scorer in the game with 14 points while playing all 30 minutes of the annual scrimmage. He also added four rebounds and three assists. In two exhibition games since then Henderson has averaged 19.5 minutes, but he has not been as productive as in the first scrimmage.

"He's got to play right now through [being tired], and he'll keep getting into better shape," Krzyzewski said. "He's not as sharp, but he played well, he's going to be a really good player."

While not all the recruited freshmen will be starting, all four are sure to assume significant roles this season. For Henderson, that means utilizing his athleticism to create mismatches as Duke tries to find ways to fill the scoring void created by the departure of J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams.

"[Coach] wants me to be an athletic swing man, like I am," Henderson said. "Be the most athletic player out there on both sides of the court, use my strength."

The winner of last year's McDonald's All-American slam dunk contest, Henderson averaged 21.5 points per game as a senior in high school while also leading his team in rebounds and charges taken. Though Henderson has often been overshadowed by former high school teammate and current North Carolina freshman Wayne Ellington, he should certainly have an impact on the young Blue Devils as a slashing shooting guard or small forward.

"Everyone knows he's an explosive athlete and plays above the rim," junior DeMarcus Nelson said. "So hopefully we can get out in transition where he can use those abilities that he has to our advantage."

Considered by some to be a potential ACC Freshman of the Year candidate, Henderson still has to prove whether or not his preseason injuries will have a lasting effect on his play this year.

"I don't have all my explosion back, but that's why I'm out there giving 100 percent," Henderson said. "I'll be ready. I'm ready to go now."

Share and discuss “Henderson struggles with early injuries” on social media.