Duke benefits from national team's visit

Abby Waner pestered Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors all fall.

With the U.S. Senior Women's National Team practicing in Cameron Indoor Stadium and Goestenkors serving as an assistant coach for the team, Waner wanted a chance to hit the hardwood with the nation's best. As it turned out, the sophomore point guard would have her wish granted.

"One day Coach G came up to me, and she was like, 'Get ready, we need you in practice today,' so I was really excited," Waner said.

With Sheryl Swoopes out, Team USA was short a player, and Waner was called up to participate in shooting drills.

"I don't think I hit a shot the entire time," Waner said. "But just to be on the floor with people of that caliber was amazing."

Senior Alison Bales also got the chance to play with the women she grew up idolizing.

Duke's senior captain got to set screens-which Goestenkors said she did quite well-in a drill as the national team prepared for the 2006 FIBA World Championships, held in Brazil in September.

"Luckily I'm quite tall," Bales said. "The U.S. team was lacking in that area, so they really wanted to work on going against someone of a bigger size."

In addition to two Blue Devils being able to live out childhood dreams, the arrival of the national team in Durham earlier this fall brought with it a number of potential benefits for Goestenkors and Duke.

There were some who questioned whether the commitment to Team USA could detract from Goestenkors' obligations to the Blue Devils, but not only did she gain valuable coaching experience, Duke also earned an incredible recruiting advantage.

Goestenkors' time with the national team meant increased exposure to new offensive sets to incorporate back at Duke.

This year's squad, which features 6-foot-7 Bales and 6-foot-5 Chante Black, could be more post-oriented than teams of the past. The World Championships offered the opportunity to learn how to better adjust to the Blue Devils' changing strengths.

"When we played teams I made a list of the best sets that I saw from every country," Goestenkors said. "We've been running some of the same sets for years and years. Now I'm putting in some new sets for this team to really utilize our advantage in the post."

But there were more subtle lessons to be learned from the national team, as well. Goestenkors described the situation on the national team as a "changing of the guard" with the loss of stars Lisa Leslie and Dawn Staley and an injury to Swoopes-not unlike what the young Duke squad is experiencing this season.

"Some new young players had to step forward for us and it was a struggle," Goestenkors said. "I'm seeing the same things with my team with the loss of Mo [Currie], Mistie [Williams] and Jess [Foley]."

Duke's recruiting also felt the benefits of having Team USA in town. Six or seven recruits made visits this fall, Goestenkors said. And at least one player-Karima Christmas-verbally committed after visiting and watching the national team.

Certainly, Goestenkors and Duke's association with Team USA will bolster the program's reputation for years to come.

But even if it does not, at least there are still two smiling Blue Devils who got an experience they will never forget.

Share and discuss “Duke benefits from national team's visit” on social media.