Roles of athletics and academics should intertwine

In their recent guest column, Richard Hain and Fred Nijhout call for a thoughtful debate about the role of athletics on campus. They conclude, "Let the debate begin."

Very well, let's debate. First, let's set one rule that would seem to be a given for any honest, open and vigorous debate. Every idea and suggestion shall be taken seriously and discussed. Ideas and suggestions will not be fodder for public humor bordering on ridicule. I refer to the treatment given to Paul Haagen's Faculty Athletics Associates Program by Hain and Nijhout. Their "humorous" response was shameful. Although they are correct that issues surrounding athletics are much larger than a lack of communication, understanding and communication between all parties is a good, reasonable first step towards addressing the larger issues.

Hain and Nijhout state that the Athletics budget has grown at twice the rate of the Arts and Sciences budget. They offer no reasons as to why this might be. Could some donations and gifts be directed specifically to athletics and skew these numbers? Further talk of budget concerns the construction of new athletic buildings and whether or not this money could have been used for academic purposes.

They fail to mention the amazing construction that has transformed the Duke campus in the past decade. Among these projects are the Nicholas School of the Environment, CIEMAS, Bostock Library, the Divinity School addition, new dorms and Smart House. Academics would seem to be well represented in new construction projects.

Hain and Nijhout state that athletics serve an auxiliary role to academics. This is where I disagree. The role of academics and athletics should be intertwined.

They ask if the demands we put on student athletes are fair. Life itself is not fair and it is far from ideal. We would all like more time and to have our schedules line up perfectly. They don't. Student athletes know this. They have volunteered for their way of life and embrace it.

I could go on about the teachings of athletics but I will end with one teaching that Duke may need in a greater quantity: Oneness. We work together in order to reach goals we cannot achieve alone. We give of ourselves to achieve a common good. We support our comrades when they fall.

I believe this is one of the reasons that the U.S. military academies require athletic participation for their students. For them, working as a group effectively can mean life and death. For us, we become better people through the support we give and receive.

It is time for debate. I would like to see Haagen's program instituted as well and its reciprocal proposed by Hain and Nijhout. Professors should go to practice and games to understand the student athlete. Coaches should go to class to understand the academics.

It's not a fix. It's a start.

Travis Nesbit

Engineering '96

Share and discuss “Roles of athletics and academics should intertwine” on social media.