Moneta, Wolf argue over bar

More information has surfaced regarding the recent controversy surrounding whether Tommy's... Rubs, Grubs and Suds-the replacement for Rick's Diner-should house a 10-foot beer bar.

E-mails exchanged last week between junior Elliott Wolf, Duke Student Government president, and Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, offer a behind-the-scenes look into the dynamic between two of the University's most talked-about leaders.

Although the two seem chummy-signing e-mails as "Larry" and "E"-the correspondence reveals a number of disagreements.

Oct. 10, during Fall Break, Wolf wrote in a 270-word e-mail that he "heard through the grapevine" that Moneta had nixed the beer bar.

Wolf copied his e-mail to several top administrators including President Richard Brodhead, the members of the Campus Culture Initiative, Campus Council President Jay Ganatra, a senior, and The Chronicle.

Less than three hours later, Moneta responded with 79 words defending the decision to all who were copied on Wolf's letter.

Wolf and other sources have said Moneta vetoed the plans. In his e-mail, Moneta did not deny that he was behind the decision to get rid of the beer bar.

"I am totally in favor of campus bars in the Bryan Center and West Union, and continue to press Duke Dining to expand these options there," Moneta said.

"[Tommy's] location amidst undergraduate housing where hardly anyone is of legal drinking age makes it the least appropriate option," Moneta added.

In an e-mail later that day, Wolf responded to Moneta's suggestions, noting that at certain points of the year up to 30 percent of students living near McClendon Tower are of legal drinking age.

"The figure of students of legal drinking age residing on-campus far exceeds 'hardly anyone,'" Wolf wrote.

He also rebutted Moneta's alternative plans.

"I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of people who hang out in the West Union or BC at night are undergraduates anyway," Wolf wrote. "As a late-night hangout/bar, a bar in Tommy's would be almost exactly the same."

Wolf described a bar at Tommy's as "the perfect opportunity to help fill a major void that exists on campus," and noted that the new Central Campus plans call for a bar integrated into the residential space.

Moneta responded nine minutes later with a 63-word e-mail, writing that Central will house predominantly seniors, "thus, having bars there makes great sense."

"McClendon will provide beer and wine, but should not have alcohol as its primary feature," Moneta wrote. "I reiterate that the place for bars is in the West Union and Bryan Center."

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst told The Chronicle last week that the Bryan Center had been rejected by Alcohol Law Enforcement as a location for an additional bar and said he was unaware of any space in the West Union Building large enough for one.

Wolf responded to Moneta with a final 266-word e-mail Oct. 11, writing that Moneta was exaggerating the bar's impact.

"The 'bar' wouldn't seat more than a few people at a time and is clearly not the 'primary feature' of the establishment," Wolf wrote.

He insisted that the McClendon Tower location was not an issue.

"Do you have any real evidence or data to support the notion that those patronizing the WU/BC would be any different than those who would be living around Tommy's? (I'll revert to my math and assume the null hypothesis otherwise)," Wolf wrote.

He concluded with another question.

"At the end of the day, the bartenders will be carding and there will be ALE inspections," Wolf wrote. "I reiterate-if Tom Meyer and Dining Services are willing to take the risk of losing the liquor license and/or not having enough patrons to turn a profit on the bar, why not let them?"

Share and discuss “Moneta, Wolf argue over bar” on social media.