"60 Minutes" highlights questionable DA practices

After watching last night's episode of "60 Minutes," in which Ed Bradley expressed the most grave reservations about the Duke lacrosse case and Duke law professor James Coleman strongly denounced District Attorney Mike Nifong's conduct, we as two proud 2003 Duke graduates feel compelled to write.

We know that our words will have no effect on Nifong since he has demonstrated no ethical concerns of the past. We hope our letter, however, will offer some benefit for those who value truth in the justice system.

The Duke lacrosse case has demonized and mischaracterized the Duke-Durham relationship. To read some accounts from the national media, one would think that Duke's only relationship to Durham is one of exploitation and denigration.

In truth, it is actually a thriving relationship of community service and friendship. Many Duke students and alumni call Durham home. This city holds a special place in the hearts of many Dukies past and present. We would hope that this relationship would not be jeopardized by the boundless ambition of a corrupt politician.

After the "60 Minutes" piece, we were appalled by the inconsistencies, falsehoods and paucity of evidence in the case. Conversely, we were moved and inspired by the sincerity and passion with which the three accused lacrosse players proclaimed their innocence.

Nifong has consistently refused to listen to alibis of the defense because he knows that these boys are innocent. Wouldn't it be helpful for a prosecutor to know the whereabouts of the defendants during the time in question? Nifong actively chooses to ignore any and all exculpatory evidence and persistently changes the stakes.

The facts of this case could not be any more repugnant than if "Precious" approached Nifong herself with a way to get him elected in exchange for the deep pockets of three wealthy Duke students.

We join the chorus of voices in denouncing Nifong for his cynical race baiting. In our view all people of good will would agree that we are all entitled to justice. The justice system should not discriminate among race, class or socioeconomic status. Just because the three accused were born into families of wealth, does not mean that they should be railroaded through the criminal justice system.

We will forever be proud to say that we are Duke graduates. We hate to think that this demonstrably false allegation would have a future effect on the reporting of any rapes that actually do happen. This case is not about black versus white. It is truth versus injustice. We have unwavering confidence in the power of truth to prevail in Durham, a city that we will always love.

Laura Anderson

Trinity '03

Sallyann Bergh

Trinity '03

Share and discuss “"60 Minutes" highlights questionable DA practices” on social media.