Redick set to plead guilty

Former Duke star J.J. Redick will plead guilty to charges stemming from a June 13 DUI arrest, according to court documents released Tuesday.

"It's not over with," Redick told The Chronicle Wednesday. "Once everything gets sorted out, I definitely will be relieved."

Redick would not elaborate further on the specific legal issues and his lawyer, Donald Beskind, declined comment through an assistant.

Beskind sent a letter to Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong Aug. 17 stating his client's intention to plead guilty, and Nifong penned his initials on the letter, according to the court records.

Redick's case had previously been set for yesterday's docket, but the case will be continued to Oct. 24, at which point the plea will be heard.

Click for related content:

Redick arrested on DWI charges

Police pulled over the 6-foot-4 guard, who holds the Duke and ACC all-time scoring records, in the Belmont Apartments parking lot June 13 after he made an illegal U-turn before a license checkpoint at the corner of Lasalle Street and Kangaroo Drive.

Police on the scene said Redick's eyes were "very glassy," and he had a "strong odor of alcohol" on his breath. Redick, who had several passengers in his car at the time, later registered a blood alcohol level of .11, above the legal limit of .08.

Just two weeks after the incident, the NBA's Orlando Magic selected Redick with the draft's 11th pick. At the time, Redick was also recovering from a back injury suffered during pre-draft workouts, and some had thought he could slip to later in the draft.

Redick took time off from basketball after the June 28 draft in New York City. To rest his back, he forfeited an opportunity to try out for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski's U.S. Senior National Team, which is currently competing in Japan.

"Everything's good with my back now," Redick said. "I'm trying to work myself back into shape and doing a little more everyday."

In the meantime, Redick was named the cover-athlete for 2K sport's NCAA 2K7 video game Aug. 1. He has also inked endorsement deals with a memorabilia company, a trading card company and a footwear company.

"I'm a Nike guy," he said.

Redick said he did not think his DUI charge hurt his endorsement contracts as some were inked before the arrest and, in general, huge endorsement dollars have not been awarded to the 2006 draft class.

"Things just aren't there as much as they used to be," he said.

Redick will continue to work out in Orlando, where he recently purchased a house and moved, before NBA training camp opens in October.

Share and discuss “Redick set to plead guilty” on social media.