Upton, Young headline talented Bulls' roster

For one final time in Durham, the spotlight at a sporting event will be on J.J. Redick. But this time, he will be holding a baseball instead of a basketball.

The Blue Devils' all-time leading scorer will throw out the first pitch at Durham Bulls Athletic Park tonight when the Bulls (7-1) take on the Toledo Mud Hens (3-5) in their home opener at 7 p.m.

"Redick had a tremendous career at Duke," Durham Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said. "We're glad he'll give the fans in the Triangle one last opportunity to give him a public congratulation."

The Bulls, the Triple-A minor league affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, start the year with a new manager, John Tamargo, and two of the top players in the minor leagues, outfielder Delmon Young and shortstop B.J. Upton.

Tamargo is just the second manager in the history of the Triple-A Bulls, who were previously a Single-A squad. The new skipper has more than three decades of major and minor league experience. After short stints in the major leagues from 1976-1980, Tamargo has left his mark as a minor league manager with a 912-859 overall record and a Triple-A World Series Championship with New Orleans in 1998.

Tamargo will have plenty to work with to begin the season.

Delmon Young, the brother of all-star outfielder and current Detroit Tiger Dmitri Young, was the first player taken in the June 2003 draft. He has quickly worked his way up through the minor leagues and was named 2005 Minor League Player of the Year by Baseball America.

"He's got five tools," Tamargo said. "Delmon can hit for average, he throws well, he hits with great power, he's a good defensive player and he's got good speed. He's one of the best players in the minor leagues."

Upton, Baseball America's No. 1 overall prospect in 2004, is an immense baseball talent who has not yet been able to maximize his abilities. Last season he was the Durham Bulls' Player of the Year as he topped all Devil Rays' minor leaguers with 98 runs, 36 doubles, 60 extra-base hits and 165 hits.

Despite his prowess at the plate, however, Upton led all minor leaguers with 53 errors, which has kept him from breaking through to the majors. He was brought up to the Devil Rays in August 2004-becoming the youngest player in the major leagues at the time-but was sent back down to work on his fielding problems.

"He's worked really hard all spring on his defense," Tamargo said. "He has played well, and he is conscious of his defensive troubles."

To complement the organization's two top-notch hitting prospects, Durham boasts a pitching staff that includes reliever Chad Orvella. The 2005 Tampa Bay Minor League Pitcher of the Year played much of last season with the Devil Rays and compiled a 3-3 record with a 3.60 ERA in 37 games.

The Bulls have already had a couple call-ups in the first two weeks of the season. Outfielder Russell Branyon was called up to Tampa Bay April 6 and starting pitcher Edwin Jackson was promoted April 11.

Tamargo said he is excited to finally come to Durham for his first home game as manager of the Bulls.

"People here are excited about baseball," Tamargo said. "It's a good baseball town and I'm excited to get back to Durham for the first home series."

Share and discuss “Upton, Young headline talented Bulls' roster” on social media.