Alums gather amid scandal

With the national media spotlight centered squarely on Duke, Alumni Weekend 2006 took place under the same glare that has accompanied the recent lacrosse scandal.

But several alumni and University officials downplayed the impact of the rape allegations on the weekend's events and on alumni relations in general.

As tents filled the quadrangles to celebrate the reunions of classes ending in "1" or "6," many conversations touched on the media's portrayal of the University and on the merits of specific accusations surrounding the men's lacrosse team.

"It is just a typical overreaction of the media," said Rick Dennerline, Trinity '71. "There is a story, but it is not nearly as significant as they made it out to be."

Angela Bowser, Trinity '76, also said the media coverage has done Duke no favors.

"It's bad how this has been played out in the public," she said. "I'm tired of them talking about Duke as an elitist school."

She also took issue with the implication that her alma mater was complicit in allowing the team to run wild. An April 9 column in The New York Times opined that the administration "appeared to sanction such acts."

Dowser rejected that type of description.

"It's not the school. It's the individual players," she said.

The University, which has an open campus, made an effort to inform alumni about the risks involved in talking to the media in an alumni welcome packet, said John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations.

Dennerline recalled issues with "the culture" of the lacrosse team from his days in college. "Lacrosse players have always been a bit out there," he said.

He added that it was surprising that some of the tension between Duke and Durham had not been ironed out in the 35 years since his graduation.

The lacrosse situation was addressed repeatedly throughout the weekend's activities.

President Richard Brodhead had to stop his "State of the University" speech for a half-hour Saturday to take specific questions from the crowd of nearly 100 alumni who had gathered in Page Auditorium.

"It was convenient to throw the lacrosse team overboard along with their coach," said Joe Baden, Engineering '70, at the speech.

Baden asked whether the University and Brodhead would have done the same to men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"I don't think they would have," Baden said.

Brodhead addressed the disciplinary action the school has taken against the two players who have been charged with rape. The University has not directly confirmed that the two have been suspended. Federal laws prohibit administrators from releasing information about student disciplinary affairs.

"We really asked ourselves, on the matter of interim suspension, 'How do we do these things?'" Brodhead told a questioner. "The custom of this place, I assure you it is the custom of many places, on indictment for a felony... that's the way to go with it, and that's the way we did it this time."

It was not unexpected for alumni to want the administration to speak to the lacrosse situation, Burness said.

"It's no different from when [Brodhead] spoke with prospective students," he added, noting the reception from the crowd was positive.

Still up for debate is whether the allegations had an effect on attendance at Alumni Weekend or if they will have an effect on donations in the future.

It is too early to tell on both counts, said Peter Vaughn, executive director of alumni and development communications.

"I was only aware of four or five people actually writing and asking, 'Is it safe to come here?'" he said, adding that the University assured them it was safe.

Pre-registration was higher than in any other year, and Vaughn estimated a total turnout in excess of 3,500-although Saturday's rain may have depressed walk-up attendance.

He has also seen "no quantifiable effect" on donations in the short term, in part because giving is often motivated by the cumulative effects of several events.

"If we were in difficult situations month after month, year after year-that would be a great cause for concern," Vaughn said.

This is not the first time controversial University news has been in the national radar-last year's on-campus Palestine Solidarity Movement conference and 2003's transplant mix-up at Duke University Hospital attracted attention.

But Vaughn said neither event eclipses the current lacrosse scandal.

His office alone has received more than a thousand e-mails from alumni and parents, on top of the several thousand that Burness said his office has received in recent weeks.

The majority have been supportive, both said.

"It's a good thing when people take the time to say things to us, whether they're negative or positive. It means they care about the place," Vaughn explained.

Out of approximately 250 negative responses, two-thirds have criticized Brodhead for rushing to judge the team, while one-third have said the administration did not act fast enough, Vaughn added.

"My sense is that people who have supported Duke Athletics will continue to support it," Vaughn said.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Alums gather amid scandal” on social media.