Spartans pose tough challenge

It was expected that the top-seeded Blue Devils would make it to the Sweet 16.

Duke walked through the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament without any trouble. It destroyed Southern with a 59-point win in the first round. It trampled USC in the second, 85-51.

Sunday, however, the Blue Devils will face a more serious challenge when they play fourth-seeded Michigan State. In its ninth consecutive Sweet 16 appearance, Duke travels to Bridgeport, Conn. to tip off against the Spartans-last year's national runners-up-at 7:05 p.m in the Bridgeport Arena.

This game won't be nearly as easy.

But despite the rising level of competition, the Blue Devils remain confident.

"I don't think we are phased in the least anymore about being a one seed," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "We understand when you get to the Sweet 16, every team is very capable of winning on any night. So it doesn't matter what the seeding or the ranking is, all that is thrown out the door. We don't feel pressure. We know Michigan State has a great tradition, specifically last year. They have had wonderful experiences, so it's going to be a great matchup."

Michigan State (24-9) boasts a squad that is physically different from any Duke (28-3) has played against this season.

"We've played a couple of teams that had four players that could shoot the three, which Michigan State does," Goestenkors said. "We've played a couple of teams like that but I don't think they were quite as proficient as Michigan State. We've also played some teams that like to run the ball. I think Michigan State is a great transition team."

Goestenkors likened Michigan State's fast breaks to those of North Carolina-whom the Blue Devils lost to twice this season-and also compared the Spartans' shooting strengths to those of the Tar Heels and other ACC opponents Wake Forest and Florida State.

But unlike other opponents Duke has seen this season, Michigan State utilizes quickness and toughness inside to make up for its smaller size.

Leading the Spartans' attack is senior forward Liz Shimek, who averages 17.9 points and 8.3 rebounds, and senior guard Lindsay Bowen, Michigan State's all-time leading three-point shooter. Shimek and Bowen are also the school's first and second all-time leading scorers, respectively.

"They have an inside-outside attack with Liz Shimek and with their shooters on the outside," freshman guard Abby Waner said.

"So I think ultimately, like it does every single game, it comes down to us. And it shouldn't matter who we're playing or the opponent that we're playing because we know that we have the talent to win every single game regardless of who the other team is."

Goestenkors said the Blue Devils will attempt to shut down Michigan State by using its size as an advantage. And fresh off a standout performance in the Blue Devils' second-round game March 21, 6-foot-7 Alison Bales will be an asset for Duke. Bales had a career-high 22 points on the night, as well as nine rebounds and six blocks.

"We need to neutralize their quickness and take advantage of our height because we do have the size advantage," Goestenkors said. "So I think it'll be a battle, it'll be a battle of styles of play."

Share and discuss “Spartans pose tough challenge” on social media.