Registration starts with no snafus

Sunny skies and smooth sailing have characterized the first week and a half of summer registration, which began Feb. 27.

University administrators said no major problems have arisen, and about two thirds as many students as attended last year's summer sessions have already registered for Summer 2006.

"Summer registration has been very smooth so far," University Registrar Bruce Cunningham wrote in an e-mail. "We've had no system issues, and students seem to be getting the classes they need."

Since the institution of a new registration schedule a year ago, enrollment for the summer has begun several weeks earlier than fall registration. Students also no longer need a personal identification number to register for summer classes.

Cunningham described the changes as beneficial. He explained that the lack of a PIN requirement is a way to relieve strain on advisors and students, who still have an opportunity to discuss summer plans during the advising period for fall classes.

"The earlier registration period also allows students to have a more concrete feel for what they will be able to take in the summer before planning their fall schedules," Cunningham wrote.

Because summer registration involves fewer students and now takes place over a longer period, the opening of the time window does not place the same burden on the ACES course selection website as regular semester registration.

"We don't feel a load crunch, but we do feel a heavy activity crunch," said Kathy Pfeiffer, director of Student Information Services and Systems, the office that administers ACES.

For students, the lower load means that they do not need to race to get into their chosen classes. "I woke up 30 minutes late, but I am taking [organic chemistry], and I got into my classes fine," sophomore Blair Carter said.

If students find that classes are filling, the summer school office tries to adjust course offerings in response to student demand. Cunningham said the office desired an earlier registration to facilitate this process. The deadlines for faculty organizing summer classes have not altered, he noted.

The difference between summer and academic-year registration does not lead the SISS office to take summer registration lightly. Pfeiffer said at least 20 to 25 people from SISS and the Office of Information Technology were on duty when the summer window opened-the same as during each of the fall and spring registration windows. They also thoroughly test the system prior to student use.

"Our system is there and our folks are there to help the students," Pfeiffer said.

Students seem pleased overall with the ease of the summer registration system.

"I logged on and registered," said Soojin Park, a junior. "Everything was open."

Sophomore Jordan Preiss said Duke's system compares favorably to those at other universities. "I am registering at a different school, and it's impossible," she said.

Cunningham noted that administrators are also happy with how well the new structure has been functioning.

"At this time we have no plans to change the registration process for either the summer or regular academic terms," Cunningham wrote. "Barring unforeseen circumstances, it should remain pretty much the same."

Share and discuss “Registration starts with no snafus” on social media.