Vendors in BC still see poor sales

In the Bryan Center, construction means noise, dust and falling sales.

Last semester's closure of the Bryan Center walkway has continued to pose sales volume, marketing and logistical challenges for the building's stores-problems that, for some, have worsened this semester.

Although a few vendors have seen some benefits from the construction, most are eagerly awaiting the plaza's completion.

The construction challenges have hit the Bryan Center's dining locations-McDonald's, Alpine Atrium and the Armadillo Grill-particularly hard. At the beginning of last semester, their sales were down by an average of 10.6 percent. The last few months have not improved the situation.

McDonald's store manager Rafael Perez said nighttime customer volumes were even lower in January, despite the fact that Dining Services "have been really working hard" to help.

As a result, Perez has had to reduce the hours his staff works.

Noting the ability of favorable conditions to speed along construction, Perez said he is "just praying that the good weather continues."

Monte Tatum, manager of Alpine Atrium, also said his sales volumes are still below normal, by roughly 10 percent. He has also cut down on staffing. The hours that have seen the greatest impact, he noted, are from opening until around 3 p.m.

Meanwhile, some food vendors that might have expected to benefits from the Bryan Center locations' lost business have not seen commensurate customer gains.

Sales at The Loop, located in the nearby West Union building, have risen by only 1.9 percent compared to the same period last year.

Calling the increase "not substantial," manager Dennis Lane said he initially thought he would see a larger effect.

Lane is also looking forward to the end of construction. He explained that The Loop's new buzzer system, which alerts diners when their orders are ready, will allow customers to wait out on the plaza while their food is prepared.

"I think with the combination of the buzzers-and we'll have our seating back outside-I think [the plaza] will really help us," Lane said.

Customers staying away from the Bryan Center's food outlets have not necessarily been ordering in, either.

Sophomore Ryan Tolkin, chief financial officer of Devil's Delivery Service, attributed the company's slight sales uptick to marketing, not the construction.

For other stores in the Bryan Center, the effects of plaza construction have been more varied.

Thomas Craig, general manager for the University's retail stores, said that while the Lobby Shop's volume remains down between 12 and 14 percent, the University Store has posted higher sales than last year.

These sales, however, have not come without a cost. They stem from an aggressive marketing strategy that includes advertising, promotions, and last week's large and successful 2K6 annual clearance sale.

"We thought it was a good tradeoff," Craig said. "Our profit margin's down a little bit, [but] not a whole lot.

Jim Rigney, general manager of The Computer Store, said that by redirecting foot traffic past the store's location, construction has actually increased its visibility.

"We're seeing much more traffic," Rigney said, adding that he hopes the increase in attention will be lasting.

Planning and staff efforts have limited some vendors' logistical problems, such as delivery delays reported at the start of construction. Craig said that they have not been an issue for the retail stores.

Logistical difficulties for the Bryan Center post office have also been minimal.

"[Delivery] is not nearly as much of a problem as we thought it was going to be," said Michael Trogdon, general manager of postal operations.

Trogdon noted that delays have been kept to around 15 minutes even in the middle of the day. Rescheduling deliveries outside of peak hours has helped, he said, as has the work of the guards who manage traffic to the loading dock.

The guards, Rigney said, have made major and underappreciated contributions to minimizing the construction's impact.

"They're wonderful. There's always a smile," Rigney said.

Jim Wulforst, director of Dining Services, could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Vendors in BC still see poor sales” on social media.