SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke trails by 3 strokes after 1st day

The women's golf team kicked off its spring schedule Monday by playing nearly 36 holes. Duke was in second when play was halted because of darkness during the first day of competition at the Arizona Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, Ariz.

The No. 1 Blue Devils turned in a 3-under-par performance in the tournament's opening round and were one over in their second round of the day. Two Duke golfers finished the round, but three have to complete the final two holes before hitting the course for the third and final round of the tournament today.

"This was a great start to the season-we were scooting just around even par all day," head coach Dan Brooks said. "We've got a group of people that really excel when competing, so I'm glad that the off-season isn't any longer."

With its 2-under score Monday, Duke is three strokes off the pace set by Arizona State and one ahead of UNLV, which sits in third.

The Blue Devils were in first place after 18 holes, but the Sun Devils roared ahead in the afternoon. Before play was suspended, they moved to 7-under par, taking an advantage over Duke.

Freshman Amanda Blumenherst led the way for the Blue Devils, finishing the day in a sixth-place tie. The nation's top-ranked golfer carded a pair of 1-under-par 70s Monday.

Duke, the reigning NCAA Champions, won three tournaments in the fall and finished second at the Auburn Derby Invitational-the only tournament in which they did not take home the title.

A win today would mark the second final-day comeback of the 2005-2006 season for the Blue Devils and 13th tournament victory in their last two seasons.

"Win or loss, we're doing the things we need to get going in the spring season," Brooks said.

Share and discuss “Duke trails by 3 strokes after 1st day” on social media.