Agre recounts winning chemistry Nobel Prize

Nobel Prize winner and Vice Chancellor for Science and Technology Dr. Peter Agre addressed a packed audience in the Von Canon meeting rooms to retell his Nobel Prize acceptance speech Thursday afternoon.

"I remember when I got the call at 5:30 in the morning from Stockholm, and I was so delighted," Agre said. "But I have great sympathy for the current winners because your life is sort of turned upside-down."

Despite an adolescence of less-than-stellar grades-even in college chemistry classes-odd jobs in a machine factory and a self-proclaimed "footloose and fancy-free" attitude, Agre is now considered a leading scientist in biology and chemistry.

His speech was scheduled to coincide with the same week he received the Nobel Prize. Agre is hoped to be only the first in a series of Nobel Prize winners to speak on campus.

Agre's major breakthrough came to fruition in 1991, when his laboratory discovered aquaporins-channels in mammal, bacteria and plant proteins that explain water movement in and out of cells. These findings help researchers and scientists target more precisely areas associated with many kidney, muscular and organ diseases.

Victor Dzau, chancellor for health affairs and president and CEO of Duke University Health System, led an effort to recruit Agre, who has been at Duke since July. Officials have said they hope Agre's presence will attract premier scientists and students to the Duke community.

"This is a time for celebration of great discovery of scientific principles and things that can transform our understanding of biology, medicine and other types of science," said Dzau in his introductory words for Agre.

Now Agre, who earned his graduate degree in medicine and cell biology from Johns Hopkins University in 1974, balances responsibilities at Duke and those associated with being a Nobel Laureate-pursuing strategic directions in science and lecturing around the globe.

"I've been very eager to come to Duke for a long time," Agre said. "I am here to catalyze activities in science policy."

Agre entertained listeners with a few jokes before delving into the history and mechanics of aquaporins.

He added that much of his work sprang from a larger interest in human health, rights and ethics.

"As a medical doctor, I am very interested in the consequences of my work for human diseases," Agre said.

Agre's speech drew both graduate and undergraduate students in addition to faculty and staff.

"This was my first time seeing Agre, but I heard about him a lot during my undergraduate career," said Kris Spaeth, a fourth-year graduate student in the molecular genetics and microbiology department. "It's always great to see someone who does great work in a similar field."

Agre heads back to Sweden to lecture and host a roundtable discussion for the BBC Tuesday.

"Going to Stockholm two years ago for the Nobel was mind-boggling and exhausting, so I didn't get to really enjoy it," Agre said. "Now I'm looking forward to going back."

Share and discuss “Agre recounts winning chemistry Nobel Prize” on social media.