News briefs

Photo exhibit displays South African township

The complex lives and uncertain futures of South Africans living in a government-subsidized settlement are documented by photographer Kate Joyce in an exhibition opening Friday, Oct. 14, at Duke University's Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy. An opening reception that is free and open to the public begins at 4:30 p.m.

The exhibition, "Grassland Phase II: Residents and government reshaping South Africa's informal settlements," is a selection of photographs created over the five months that Joyce spent with residents in a government-subsidized settlement named Grassland Phase II, located on the fringe of an expanding township in Bloemfontein, South Africa.

The exhibition is co-sponsored by the Sanford Institute of Public Policy, the Concilium on Southern Africa and the Duke University Center for Documentary Studies.

Town Hall meeting addresses relations issues

There will be a Durham town hall meetings on "The Future of Democracy in the Muslim World" tonight in the Sanford Institute of Public Policy at 7 p.m. The event will feature Radwan Masmoudi, president of the Center for the Study of Islam & Democracy based in Washington, D.C. After an initial presentation by this speaker, citizens will have a chance to ask questions and make brief comments.

The meeting is a part of the "Hope not Hate" series. "Hope not Hate" seeks to commemorate Sept. 11 annually with town hall discussions.

Two Pratt students earn high honors

Electrical engineering doctoral student Scott McCain received the Outstanding Young Research Award at the Optics in the Southeast conference last Friday and Saturday in Atlanta. McCain was honored as a graduate student with potential to be one of the top researchers in the field of optics. He was awarded a plaque and $500.

Biomedical engineering doctoral candidate Jason Smith was awarded a 2005 Graduate Student Research Award from the Biomedical Engineering Society for his work on the modulation of endothelial cell migration using haptotactic gradients and soluble factors. Smith was honored at the national BMES meeting in Baltimore.

Women's symposium to come to Duke

The Sallie Bingham Center for Women's History and Culture will be convening its second biennial conference, entitled "Sisterhood, Riot Grrrl, and the Next Wave: Feminist Generations/Generating Feminisms," Oct. 26 through Oct. 28 at Perkins Library.

The theme will be the areas of overlap-and the areas of divergence-between the different generations of feminism from the 1960s to the present.

The symposium's keynote speaker will be Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority Foundation.

This will be the first major gathering in the Southeast to explore the topic of intergenerational and transgenerational feminisms, particularly using the historical record of the Women's Movement as a foundation.

The Bingham Center has one of the foremost collections of original materials documenting the Women's Movement from 1965 to the present.

Hip-hop journalist to speak

Jeff Chang will give a lecture, entitled "The Hip Hop Generation and the Politics of Abandonment," at Richard White Auditorium Oct. 21 at 8 p.m.

The event is sponsored by The Institute for Southern Studies, Southern Exposure Magazine and Duke's Center for Multicultural Affairs. The lecture is in conjunction with the release of Southern Exposure Magazine's special issue, "East Meets South: 150 Years of Asian/Southern Intersections."

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.