Led by Ness, women win pair of dual meets

Duke women's swimming and diving (3-1) edged out both UNC Wilmington and Richmond by scores of 136-107 and 141-101, respectively, after falling to both teams last season. The men's team (1-2), meanwhile , lost 151-90 to UNC Wilmington at the Taishoff Aquatic Pavilion Saturday in Duke's second home match of the year.

"We knew having lost last year that it was going to be close today," head coach Dan Colella said. "We were excited to come off our last meet and put in a really great week of training. We are making progress not only in our racing, but also in the energy we are showing on the sideline."

The Blue Devil women were led by senior Katie Ness, who secured titles in the 200 IM and the 200 backstroke, and junior Jackie Rodriguez, who won the 200 breaststroke title and secured two second place finishes in freestyle events. The women's 400 medley team also took first place for the second straight match, providing an opening lead that Duke would not relinquish.

Senior Andy Storm and sophomores Matt Rinehart and Scott Champagne all claimed individual titles for the men's team, which failed to secure first in either of the two relays in its second team loss of the year. The 500 freestyle was the most successful event for the Blue Devils who took each of the top three spots.

Freshman Lauren Gonzalez took her first collegiate title in the one-meter dive to lead the diving team. Between the men's and women's teams, seven Blue Devils placed in the top three of their respective competitions.

"We did exactly what we needed to do today to come away with a win," diving coach Andy Scott said.

Share and discuss “Led by Ness, women win pair of dual meets” on social media.