Duke seeks revenge against Terps

Of the few disappointments that the NCAA runner-up field hockey squad experienced last season, Duke's 3-2 loss to Maryland in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament was among its biggest letdowns.

No. 3 Duke (9-2, 2-1 in the ACC) will look to even the score as they host No. 2 Maryland (12-1, 2-1) at 1 p.m. at Williams Field on Senior Day Saturday, .

"Maryland is dangerous-they're a very good team but I think we're a better team than we were last year," head coach Beth Bozman said. "I think we're really just going to keep doing what we've been doing this season and hopefully put on a good performance on Saturday."

Having dropped two, one-goal decisions to the Terrapins last season, the Blue Devils are focusing on themselves in order to prevent Maryland from sneaking by them again.

"I think that a lot of times we just need to concentrate on playing our game," senior forward Katie Grant said. "Just because the ACC is so competitive, a lot of times when we play teams that we know are going to be better we psych ourselves out a little bit. We just need to concentrate on what we've done so far and go out and score tons of goals like we do every other game and have the mentality that we are the better team."

Duke carries its recent success into Saturday's contest as the team enters the matchup on a four-game winning streak. The Blue Devils have thrived on both sides of the field lately, as the offense has tallied six goals in each of its last two contests while the defense held Harvard without a shot in Duke's 6-0 win in Cambridge, Mass. Oct. 2.

"We're just getting better every game," Bozman said. "We had a good weekend and played really well and that's what we're going to take into this weekend."

Much like the Blue Devils with Grant and Nicole Dudek, the Terrapins are led by a pair of dynamic forwards in seniors Jackie Ciconte and Tiffany Marsh. Ciconte leads the Terrapins in goals with 11 on the season, while Marsh has racked up an impressive 31 points on 10 goals and 11 assists. In net, Maryland splits time between Kathryn Masson and Christina Restivo, who have a combined goals against average of .87.

"They've got a lot of great players," Bozman said. "They've got good players like we got good players, so I think the team that just performs on Saturday is going to be the team that wins."

Saturday's game could also have implications for next months' ACC Tournament as the addition of Boston College has reduced the number of first-round byes from three to two. Duke and Maryland are currently competing for one of the byes.

"We remember last year that two of our losses did come from them and I'd rather that not happen this year," Grant said.

During Fall Break, the Blue Devils will also host No. 16 Villanova (11-2) Tuesday at 4 p.m. at Williams Field.

Share and discuss “Duke seeks revenge against Terps” on social media.