SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Deltour advances to qualifying

Members of the women's tennis team travelled to California this weekend to compete in the Cal Invitational in Berkeley and pre-qualifying rounds of the Riviera ITA/All-American Tournament in Pacific Palisades.

Sophomore Clelia Deltour won three matches to advance to the qualifying portion of the All-American tournament. The top-seed Deltour defeated Georgia Tech's Lindsay Shosho 6-4, 6-1 in the round of 16 Sunday to clinch her spot.

Teammate Jessi Robinson fell to Nebraska's Kim Hartman, 6-3, 6-1, in the same round and was eliminated.

Deltour will join senior teammate Jackie Carleton, who received a bid to the qualifying tournament without having to participate in the prequalifying portion of the event. The qualifying rounds will begin Tuesday at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades. Both players will need to win three consecutive matches in order to reach the main draw.

At the weekend's other tournament, the Cal Invitational, junior Jennifer Zika and freshman Tara Iyer each captured early round singles victories.

After losing the first-set tiebreaker 7-4, Zika cruised in the final sets, 6-1, 6-1, against Brigham Young's Sofia Holden. In the next round, however, Zika split sets with the No. 4 seed, but ultimately lost the final set 6-3.

Iyer's opening-round victory came in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, over Arizona's Tina Razloznik. She then was knocked out of the main draw by 12th-ranked Suzi Fodor 6-0, 6-1 in the second round.

Both players teamed up in doubles play to face Texas Christian's Andrea Morgado and Gloriann Lopez, but lost a 9-7 battle.

Share and discuss “Deltour advances to qualifying” on social media.