Coach K to guide Team USA

As an assistant coach for the USA's Dream Team in 1992, Mike Krzyzewski helped guide the squad to a gold medal, as the Americans dominated their opponents by an average of 43.8 points.

More than a decade later, USA Basketball has called upon Krzyzewski once again, this time to serve as head coach of Team USA, a source familiar with the selection told the Associated Press Wednesday. Krzyzewski will lead the Americans at the 2006 world championships and, if they qualify, the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

"If I was given that opportunity that would be a great honor," Krzyzewski said in June about the chance to coach Team USA. "I just want us to win, especially after we've lost, actually the last two times-in the World Championships and the Olympics."

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson refused to comment on the reports and said Krzyzewski was unavailable because he was out of town.

The Hall of Fame coach will take on the difficult task of returning the American team to its prior glory.

Facing increased talent in the global arena, USA Teams have failed to win gold at their last two international competitions-the Americans finished sixth at the 2002 world championships in Indianapolis, and third at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Because it failed to capture gold in Greece, Team USA needs to qualify for the 2008 Olympics by winning either the 2006 World Championships in Tokyo, Japan or earning a bid by qualifying in a FIBA Americas tournament during the 2007 summer. As a result of the potential three-summer commitment, New York Post writer Peter Vecsey reported Oct. 9 that Krzyzewski might take a season off from Duke to focus on the Olympic team.

Duke Athletic Director Joe Alleva rejected any such notion, however.

"That's one columnist's opinion," Alleva told the News & Observer Monday. "I don't foresee any circumstances where the coach would be taking a year off." Alleva was out of town Wednesday and could not be reached for comment.

Jerry Colangelo, the managing director of the USA Basketball senior men's national team, said in May-shortly after he was appointed to the newly created post-that Krzyzewski was "at the top of the list" of candidates for the position. Colangelo, who is also the Chairman and CEO of the Phoenix Suns, said Krzyzewski had many of the attributes he would be looking for in a coach.

"He certainly is organized. He's terrific at his job and at his trade," Colangelo said of Krzyzewski in May. "I think he has communicative skills which are important."

Krzyzewski has previous international coaching experience in addition to his role as Chuck Daly's assistant at the Olympics in 1992. He guided USA teams to a bronze medal at the world championships in 1990 and a silver medal at the World University Games in 1987.

His involvement with USA Basketball also includes serving as chairman of the Player Selection Committee for the 1992 Olympic team, an experience that will likely assist him in addressing some of the problems facing USA Basketball. Although Colangelo has final say when choosing the players, he has said he will consult his coach and a committee of other basketball personnel with his decisions.

"I think maybe one of the problems is maybe that you need to develop a team, and a team doesn't mean you just have all the best players," Krzyzewski said in June of Team USA's recent struggles. "I think the [international] game is different.... You have to build a team that will play in those conditions, not the conditions of an all-star game."

FIBA, basketball's international governing body, approved a rule change in 1989 that allowed NBA players to compete in the Olympics, sparking a decade of domination by the USA in international competition. But at the 2002 World Championships, Argentina upset the Americans, 87-80-the loss snapped USA's 58-game win streak against international opponents with NBA players on the court.

Over the past several years, USA Basketball has had difficulty securing the NBA's best players to represent America at international competitions. Prior to the Olympics in Athens, some players chose not to participate, citing security concerns and their desire to rest and recuperate rather than spend their summer traveling and risking injury while playing.

"When you put that team together you have to make sure they abide by the old saying, 'You play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back,'" Krzyzewski said. "You have to have eight or nine players who are playing, and three to four players who will come off the bench if you need them and are going to be supportive and hungry whether you use them or not."

Entering his 26th season as the Duke head coach, Krzyzewski has amassed 648 wins at the helm of the Blue Devils, including a record 66 NCAA Tournament victories. He has guided Duke to three national championships and 10 Final Four appearances.

USA Basketball has no official coaching announcement planned, Assistant Executive Director for Communications Craig Miller said. The USA Basketball Executive Committee must approve Colangelo's selection, and although it can do so at any time, its next scheduled meeting will be Nov. 9-10 in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Share and discuss “Coach K to guide Team USA” on social media.