Study finds carcinogens in hydraulic fluid

A new study found cancer-causing particles and metals present in the hydraulic fluid accidentally used in the cleaning of surgical tools at two Duke University Health System hospitals in late 2004.

The study, which was commissioned by trial lawyers David Weinstein of Tampa, Fla., and David Henson of Raleigh, contrasts previous studies of the fluid and suggests there may be a higher health risk for patients affected by the mistake than previously believed.

Scientists found the liquid contained arsenic, lead, cadmium, chromium, zinc and nickel, among other things.

"It's certainly premature for Duke to make a blanket general statement to almost 4,000 people that there was nothing to worry about based on the limited study Duke conducted," Weinstein told the Raleigh News & Observer.

Jeff Molter, spokesperson for DUHS, said Wednesday that Duke stands by previous studies' findings, maintaining that the low exposure was not harmful to patients.

"It is very important to remember that patients were only exposed to the instruments after the instruments underwent the sterilization and cleaning process; patients were not exposed to the bulk fluid," Molter explained.

DUHS administrators commissioned two independent studies last summer that reviewed the toxicology of the residue on the surgical tools.

The first study was performed by a toxicologist from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and found the sterilization process was not compromised by the hydraulic fluid.

A second study conducted by Research Triangle Institute International, which tested for levels of 11 heavy metals that could cause significant health problems, concluded that residual chemicals and metals were not present on tools in sufficient amounts to cause damage.

The mix-up occurred after an Automatic Elevator Co. repairman drained used hydraulic fluid into empty detergent drums. The drums were then shipped back to detergent supplier Cardinal Health, which wiped the drums down and sent the hydraulic fluid-filled containers back to local hospitals.

Workers from Duke-run Durham Regional Hospital and Duke Health Raleigh used the fluid in the containers in one step of Duke's multi-step cleaning process for surgical tools in November. Workers recognized the mistake in December 2004, and it was announced to the public within a few days.

At least two lawsuits have been filed in response to the accident. Neither name Duke as a defendant. The suits target Automatic Elevator Co. and Cardinal Health.

Share and discuss “Study finds carcinogens in hydraulic fluid” on social media.