Williams makes most of opportunity in goal

The Duke field hockey team has roared out of the gates this year with Caitlin Williams at its helm.

The sophomore goalie first anchored the team in a 7-0 win against Louisville to open the season. She then went on to shut out Michigan State 3-0 in the final of the Champion’s tournament this past weekend in Louisville, Ky., tallying 14 saves over the two games. It is the first time the Blue Devils have started a season with consecutive shutouts since 1991.

“[Williams] is not a freshman anymore,” head coach Beth Bozman said. “Now she is carrying the team a little bit. There’s a different sense of responsibility and with that comes confidence.”

Williams comes into this season having played in four contests last year, accumulating a 3-1 record and registering a shutout in each of those wins. An injury to last year’s starting goalie Christy Morgan has allowed Williams to shine.

After guiding her high school team to a 47-10-1 record and being honored as a two-time NFHCA All-American and three-time all-state player in New Hampshire, Williams became the top goalie recruit in the country, Bozman said.

“Actually it came down to Duke and UNC.” Williams said. “The reason I chose Duke was because of the academic reputation and because of [Bozman].”

Williams also has had the honor of being named to both the U19 and U21 National Teams, and was an alternate on the U20 team in 2003. Her credentials speak for themselves, and given the opportunity she has shined in the spotlight.

Both Bozman and Williams agree that her play has improved mostly as a result of newfound confidence. Playing a year behind top-notch goalie Morgan has allowed the sophomore to learn instead of being thrown into a starting role without proper experience.

“Caitlin has improved so much,” forward Katie Grant said. “She’s really just playing up to her potential this season.”

The team looked to be in some trouble this off-season after All-American defender Gracie Sorbello graduated and Morgan injured her back. But the team has rallied around Williams.

“I think Caitlin has done a great job back there,” Bozman said. “We’ve had to rebuild our defense a little bit. I think people thought we were going to have a weak defense, but we are actually really happy with where our defense is at now.”

With Morgan back in pads for the first time at Tuesday’s practice the Blue Devils are in a great situation of having two top-notch goalies.

Whether Williams or Morgan play in the goal, one thing is certain—the team will have a goalie it can depend on for the entire season.

Share and discuss “Williams makes most of opportunity in goal” on social media.