Council discusses library addition

The Academic Council celebrated new beginnings at the final meeting of the academic year May 12.

A slideshow presentation on the new Bostock Library and von der Heyden Pavilion shed light on the future of the University’s libraries. Deborah Jakubs, vice provost for library affairs, outlined the history and future of the “Perkins Project.” Construction of these two additions to Perkins Library is the first step in a lengthy process of renewal and expansion; the library hopes to complete renovations to other sections of Perkins within the next several years.

Citing unforeseen delays in construction, Jakubs announced that the new facilities would open Oct. 11, 2005, instead of before the start of the Fall semester, as originally planned. The dedication ceremonies will still take place Nov. 11, when Robert Darnton, a professor of European history, will be the keynote speaker.

University officials have raised $29.6 million for the library upgrades to date, surpassing the first fundraising goal of $29 million, Jakubs said. She described the von der Heyden Pavilion as “the new Perk,” about a third bigger than the current café area—which will be closed during renovations. Jakubs also praised the Bostock Library’s design as flexible and appealing.

“One thing about Bostock is the array of really marvelous study areas,” Jakubs said.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, presented to the council an executive summary of the recently completed self-study report of the NCAA certification process. Like all Division I institutions, Duke must carry out a lengthy examination of its athletics program every ten years.

Moneta pointed out two main academic areas of concern generated by the report: admissions standards for student-athletes and conflicts among classes and athletic events created by the new course schedule implemented in fall 2004.

“The gap between the athlete preparation, particularly in tier one sports, and the student body at large is growing,” he said, citing increased academic qualifications among admitted students in general.

Moneta added, however, that the student-athlete graduation rate remains unaffected.

Faculty Athletics Representative Kathleen Smith, professor of biology, described the University’s continuing efforts towards complying with the NCAA’s academic rules. Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students, said although equity and student-athlete welfare have improved since the last assessment, there are still a few slight problems, such as underrepresentation of minorities among coaching staffs.

Share and discuss “Council discusses library addition” on social media.