Website a valuable resource

President Richard Brodhead and Dean Robert Thompson’s latest project—a website listing community and research service opportunities available to Duke students—will be a valuable resource for the University.

Since taking the helm of the University last summer, Brodhead has repeatedly emphasized the important of undergraduate involvement in both research and the community. In his March 22 address to undergraduates, he discussed at length the need for students to take their classroom academic experiences and find real-world applications for them.

Until now, however, there has been no centralized place for students to find information about programs and opportunities that would help them accomplish this “translational knowledge.”

As a result, only students who were extremely ambitious, or simply lucky, found out about certain service and research opportunities offered to all undergraduates.

The advent of this website will make it easier for students to stay informed about what is out there, and it will be less time consuming than trying to track down opportunities individually.

The website is the first step in increasing the number of students who become involved in community service or undergraduate research.

Share and discuss “Website a valuable resource” on social media.