A & S to give DSG opt-in list

More professors have opted in, making their course evaluations available on ACES, but Duke Student Government still plans to forge ahead with its own website.

Members of the Arts and Sciences Council voted Thursday to give DSG the names of faculty who decided to post their evaluations for the most recent semester. DSG had asked Robert Thompson, dean of Trinity College, for the list.

Thompson reported that so far, the professors of 26 percent of Fall 2004 courses have decided to let their evaluation data appear on ACES. In the preceding semester, only nine percent chose to do so.

“That’s progress,” Thompson said, “but we still have a way to go.”

In presenting DSG’s request for information, Thompson described student government as historically working in partnership with the council on this issue. “I’m obviously in support of this,” he added.

Sophomore Joe Fore, DSG’s incoming vice president of academic affairs, assured the faculty that the students’ request is not a form of “blackmail.” He could not, however, give them details of the plan.

“We’re not exactly sure what angle to take,” Fore said. “We just want a positive spin. We want to recognize the professors who have addressed the issue.“

Council members were hesitant to agree, and many had inquiries for Thompson and Fore.

Some raised concerns about whether professors who have only taught graduate courses or are teaching new classes would be included on the list. Others complained about the difficulties of opting in under the current system.

“I’m a little uneasy about what might be done with this list,” said Craufurd Goodwin, professor of economics.

George McLendon, dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences, reminded the council that the data is in the public domain.

“Right now, DSG could generate this list all on their own. They could go through course by course, professor by professor,” McLendon said. “All that’s really being asked is that we make their task a little less onerous.”

If the faculty would not agree to give students the list, McLendon continued, “It puts us in a rather churlish position.”

Although there were several abstentions and opposing votes, 17 members—a substantial majority—elected to fulfill DSG’s request.

After the meeting, Fore explained that DSG hopes to create a website that will direct students to “the most comprehensive source of data” on professors—either ACES or an unofficial evaluation database. He noted that it should be ready by registration next semester.

“Everything is not finalized, but it’s coming together,” he said. “This is hopefully a first step to a more comprehensive system.”

Fore added that DSG was pleased with the increase in the percentage of evaluations now available on ACES.

“We’re thrilled, as a committee, that so many additional professors have chosen to opt in,” Fore said. “It’s a tremendous resource for students, and we hope the trend continues.”

In other business:

A proposal to note on seniors’ transcripts that they are “Pursuing Graduation with Distinction in [name of major]” passed unanimously.

“The intent here is to encourage individuals to think about honors,” said psychology Professor Philip Costanzo, chair of the Undergraduate Teaching, Academic Standards and Honors Committee.

Share and discuss “A & S to give DSG opt-in list” on social media.