SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Healthy Shults enjoys success

Following the 2002-2003 men’s tennis season, then-sophomore Peter Shults underwent shoulder surgery. Before the surgery, doctors told him he would be ready for the Spring 2004 season.

After the surgery, the doctors changed the prognosis for full recovery from six months to 18.

“My shoulder was messed up all last year,” Shults said. “It was definitely my hardest year, but now I’m glad I had the surgery since I am completely healthy.”

Not only is he feeling 100 percent, Shults is having the best season of his career. Now a senior, he is 10-2 in dual match singles play and 6-2 in doubles play.

In addition to putting up impressive numbers, Shults has been named ACC Player of the Week two times in the last three weeks, which is largely because of his clutch play.

Shults earned his most recent honors for his role in 4-3 wins over No. 12 Texas A&M and No. 32 Texas Christian. Against the Aggies, Shults and Stephen Amritraj enabled the Blue Devils to win the doubles point, and Shults put Duke up 2-0 with a straight-set victory at the No. 6 position. Two days later he vaulted the Blue Devils over TCU, breaking a 3-3 tie with a 6-3, 6-3 triumph.

During the first week of March, Shults clinched Duke’s 6-1 victory over N.C. State at No. 4 singles, and four days later scored a 6-0, 6-0 victory in his singles match against Maryland.

“Peter is one of the hardest-working guys we’ve ever had come through our program,” head coach Jay Lapidus said. “It’s not a surprise that he’s playing the way he is now that he’s healthy.”

This season the Blue Devils have exceeded preseason expectations, especially considering the graduation of four-time All-American Phillip King. This is in large part due to strong leadership, which the subdued Shults has provided by example.

“Every day in practice, when you put him against somebody, you know it’s going to be a good practice for the other kid,” Lapidus said. “We’re going to miss his attitude a lot next year.”

Shults, a native of Little Rock, Ark., will lead the Blue Devils into action Friday at 3 p.m. against No. 33 Virginia Commonwealth and Sunday at 1 p.m. against No. 27 Florida State.

“Both teams are really tough, neither is ranked as high as it should be,” Shults said. “If both teams stay healthy, they should be top 15 teams by the end of the year.”

Share and discuss “Healthy Shults enjoys success” on social media.